New guy from Knoxville TN.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newlife76

Reaction score
Just wanted to stop in and say hello. I've been lurking since yesterday and really enjoy seeing all these builds and advice.

I picked up my first boat ever yesterday. It's and unknown make and unknown year jon boat with a 16hp evinrude outboard. It is ugly as can be but after seeing some builds on here I'm sure I can make it into something nice. It's 14' ×48" I haven't measure depth yet. Got it for a steal. 300.00 with trailer, boat, motor, 30 lb thrust trolling motor, seats, paddles, extra tank, battery and box. And a few other goodies. I will post up some pics later tonight. Looking forward to hearing some thoughts on direction.

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1397503963528.jpg[/attachment]

This is it sitting at the guys house I bought it from. It's currently sitting behind my house.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1397503963528.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1397503963528.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 503
That is a GREAT package for that price!!!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Interesting front pedestal seat support, haven't seen that before. Perfectly functional.

And, I'm told, fishes don't care about the boat's appearance.

Post often, and with pictures, please.

The front pedestal is actually just sitting there. It was not attached. So I will be utilizing something more for that. Right now the plan is a larger front deck and live well somewhere. Tonight I will begin tearing the boat and trailer down. Gutting the wiring and lighting. Filling in hole around the rails where the depth finder was and trolling motor. Then depending on shape of transom removing it and planning on building a new one. Then after it is gutted. Flip it and start sanding. Will probably put steelflex on the bottom before paint.

The trailer is also about 1 ft wider than the boat itself. I am going to see what it is going to take to make it fit the boat a little better.

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1397521751769.jpg[/attachment]

Not much done. But got off work at 7 and came home and stripped it completely. No seats no boards no motor. No wires mines two big ones for the battery but those will come out too.

Flooded it again and plugged it. Didn't see any leaks so that is a plus. But I'm sure once I pop the rivets out of the front bench I will develop some.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1397521751769.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1397521751769.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 459
Need some advice before I make my mind up on this build. I'm 6'6" (torso height) and around 320 lbs. I know the boat Has a weight limit. Before I start putting on a deck and removing the middle bench. Am I wasting time and should I see or will I still be able to utilize for fishing. And what not.

If your worried about stability put the boat in the lake and stand on the middle bench. If you feel uncomfortable then you probably don't want a deck at that height. There is always an option of a low floor with pedestal seats or multiple seating positions. If your worried about hull flex with the removal of the middle bench you could always do a split bench to have a clear walkway and retain structural rigidity. That's one great thing about aluminum boats, endless options when it comes to layout. I'm sure whatever you do it will turn out great.

The deck won't be stood on fully maybe one foot to stabilize. It will be more for storage and adding a ice well.

Latest posts