Elbow pains?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggerhead Mike

Reaction score
I've developed an elbow pain this year from busting firewood. Feels like a nerve. It comes and goes, but when it comes it's here for several days, only when I bend my arm a certain way.

Does anybody here have something similar? What do you do about it? I'm wanting to try some sort of brace to wear while fishing. It's not unbearable, more annoying than anything.

i had same from swinging framing hammer. mine was arthuritis. got shot fixed it up.

Could be tendonitis from swinging the maul, etc. You probably irritated the #$%@ out of it busting wood, and its not quite healed yet. You can get an adjustable band that goes around your upper forearm that will put pressure on the spot where you feel the pain, and it will ease the pain, but not completely. Take some ibuprofen as well, time will heal unless you did more than irritate the joint.

My ball coach in high school used to say, "Rub some dirt on it and walk it off. But that advice cost him his job when he tried that formula on a kid that had broken his leg sliding. Drs. Tinboat might not be the ultimate authority on this. Go see a medical professional before it does become unbearable.

TNtroller said:
Could be tendonitis from swinging the maul, etc. You probably irritated the #$%@ out of it busting wood, and its not quite healed yet. You can get an adjustable band that goes around your upper forearm that will put pressure on the spot where you feel the pain, and it will ease the pain, but not completely. Take some ibuprofen as well, time will heal unless you did more than irritate the joint.

I've had tendonitis before, it sux. I'd go see a Dr.

The easiest way to fix it is to stop bending your arm that certain way...

Outside of that, it sounds like tendonitis. I suffer from it myself in the knees and when the seasons change, I need to wear a Cho-Pat Strap for a couple of days. It's amazing how quickly that thing works, it's a matter of minutes between when I put it on and get relief. Go find one aimed at folks who "suffer" Tennis Elbow and it may well fix you right up. If it doesn't, go see a doc.

BassAddict said:
Busting firewood...... Is that what its called these days? My recommendation, stop 'busting firewood' LMAO

busting is a man's term, "splitting firewood" is a girly mans term ;) lmao.
I retired the go devil and I'll just pay somebody for wood next year.

It's a sharp pain in the elbow joint that kind of goes up the tricep alittle.
It really flaired back up when I was backhand casting last weekend.

I appreciate the advice fellers. If it ever really starts hurting I'll see a doc, but right now I've got a new boat on my mind

I'll try one of the braces first

Probably a repetitive stress injury that hurt the muscle. These suck badly and don't heal fast at all. Look around on Youtube concerning the subject. You will likely find some sports Dr.s showing the proper stretching exercises to give you the Physical Therapy you need to make it go away. I did similar to my shoulder rotator cuff just doing a set of 20 pushups (not the best ones either) . My elbow is sore too for that matter but it's nothing compared to the shoulder, just a minor irritation. That was mid January and it's still crappy even now. I wasn't stupid about it either. It was a bit sore one day then quite sore the next and I quit exercising right there and it just kept getting worse till I began working it twice a day. Mine gets tweaked every night when I roll over just right. You wake up quick when it feels like someone is ripping your arm off and there isn't much you can do about that. The exercises help a lot and so do the musle rubs. Not really rubbing but more of a smashing grinding motion and it's easy to do. You just find the spot that hurts and gently grind on it . :| :| It hurts when you do it but like the sport surgeon said you will feel better almost :---) immediately.

Here in the North Country nobody does it by hand unless its for kindling or camp wood. If you are gonna burn wood get a hydraulic splitter or find a buddy who has one and you bring the beer.

driz said:
Here in the North Country nobody does it by hand unless its for kindling or camp wood. If you are gonna burn wood get a hydraulic splitter or find a buddy who has one and you bring the beer.

Ding ding ding ding, free campfire wood! Splitting is fun too cause here in the suburbs it annoys the neighbors!

This type of injury is usually caused by repetitive motion, as mentioned before. It's also caused by over-exertion of those muscles. I have the same condition from time to time, mine is always along the top inside of my elbow, where the muscle flexes when I make a fist. If I do a lot of wrench-turning, or something where I am applying a lot of torque with my hands, it will start to flare up.

If that SOB starts flaring, it hurts to pick up a coffee cup. And forget trying to pick up a gallon jug of milk! :shock: The pain will radiate from my neck to my finger tips sometimes, and when it's to this extent, I know for sure that it's the bursitis in my shoulder, not just tendonitis in my elbow.

A shot of methylprednisilone (cortisone) in the shoulder does help. There is also a topical solution called "VOLTAREN" which seems to help it somewhat. Flexeril will help in extreme cases, where in less severe cases, an NSAID like Ibuprofen is good. Main thing is to recognize that you're not 20 anymore (I know, it sucks) and realize that there are certain things that you can't over-do, or you're going to pay the price for it!

Latest posts