New guy here

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Guapo

Reaction score
Hello all, been lurking for a bit, finally decided to join in. After a couple of years without a boat, my beloved bride (no doubt tired of hearing it) came across a gem of an 84 Tracker Tournament TX at a yard sale for $400. You read that right, only $400 and we'll assume that like mine, your definition of "gem" is "basket case". Apparently the PO neglected to change the water pump impeller, it got hot and warped the head. At some point he lost the head, and just left the motor in an advanced state of "random disassembly". Conveniently for him, the sort of idiot (me) that likes taking on lost causes came along with some cash in hand. Right now I'm still in the planning stages before undertaking the teardown of this thing. Luckily for me, there's a whole lot of work to plan out which will greatly occupy my time and prevent me from wasting time on trivialities like home and yard cleaning and maintenance. Providing I can find a 60-75 HP outboard at the right price, I plan to have this thing on the water for the spawn next year.

The Good: Solid, no really obvious damage, transom is dry and solid, I get to use my imagination on this one

The Bad: Lots of random "Old Man Engineering", Outboard is roached

The Ugly: Pretty much everything

Here's a few pictures of the gem. Why is it that whenever someone decides to paint the interior of a boat with latex house paint, they always use this same awful blue color?

boat001.jpg

After a little scavenging through the bilge and livewell, I've managed to recover some of my investment already. Found a dozen assorted Snapon and Proto sockets, most of which are 10mm (which conveniently for me is the only metric size that I ever use/lose at work).

There is an ungodly amount of just stuff in every nook and cranny of this boat. There is even a D.O.T. hazard triangle set under the seat! I'm up to 4 line clippers in varying stages of corrosion, 2 of those cheesy catfish skinning pliers, approximately 2.9 miles of what appears to be 10lb test line, a Coghlan's folding backpacker stove thing, one of those "Bass Boss" styrofoam beer cozies that used to be by the register at virtually every bait shop, a galvanized "Old Pal" minnow bucket, and that's just the highlights in one day of scavenging.

Good score on the boat. A good sense of humor (which from your posts is apparent) will get you through the build just fine.

Latest posts