Retired

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Wednesday was my last work day. I can't believe I never have to get up for work again - unless I want to. Inside I still feel like I am 16; I'm glad I'm not but it's hard to reconcile the guy I see in the mirror with the one I know inside. Besides, I somehow never expected to find myself where I am, retired. The whole thing's pretty bewildering.

I don't have too many definite plans yet. I bought myself a new rototiller as a retirement present. I'm going to return to the farm boy I started out as - at least as much as is possible on a city lot and community garden plot. I also attended a class on beekeeping this week. Minneapolis, where I live makes it difficult and expensive but it is possible so I might give that a try.

Then there's this: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14501&hilit=+sportsman . I haven't worked on it in over three years. One thing and another (mostly work and uncooperative weather) kept me from it but now I'll have some time.

I am registered to go to guitar making school in the fall but with tuition at around $11.5K for a nine-month program, I might just take the dough and put it towards building myself a real shop.

But, as they say, the world's my oyster so who knows what's next.

Congratulations, Bobberboy! I am envious. I'm self-employed and have really only scraped together a modest and marginal living since I left the corporate world 14 years ago; so, I'll probably work until I drop dead. Though I do plan to taper off considerably in about 2-3 years, I want to keep doing something that someone is willing to pay me for as long as I possibly can. In our society, that's an indication that I still add some value.

I encourage you to take a look at your list of options and find, or add, at least one thing that you'll be doing for other folks - whether they pay you or not. If it requires that you get out of bed and get your butt in gear when you don't particularly want to, all the better. Retirement is a great time for self-indulgence, and I'm sure you're completely entitled; but, it seems that continuing to contribute, and straining yourself a little to do it, leads to the most personal satisfaction and long-term health.

Stay healthy.

Congratulations!

Something to think about: As I've aged, friends have disappeared over the years. With your planned activities, seems like you will be meeting new folks as you go along. My strong advice is to keep on adding friends, 'cuz it's an impossibility to make new, old friends.

Some times memories only come to life when you have other folks who were there to wittness them.

Be healthy, safe, and happy.

Congratulations! =D>
Now you will wonder how you ever had time to work! :lol:
Being on pension is tough. Lots of decisions to make: Right now in my case, it's do I want to go turkey hunting, trout fishing, shad fishing, or walleye fishing!!!!!!! :)
ENJOY!

Thanks everyone. The advice is all good. I could add a couple of things, I have already talked to my former supervisor about volunteering with the proviso that I wouldn't do for free what they used to pay me for. That would leave a lot of things I could do for them and at the same time keep in touch with my old friends and workmates. Most importantly it would keep me from become isolated.

The most important thing I have up my sleeve is I am working on a fundraising project to raise money to create a digital lab in a Mayan elementary school in Belize. I have become friends with a Mayan birding guide in Maya Center, Belize. Through him I learned of the great need their school and decided I wanted to try to do something to help. Maybe I could start a separate thread to tell the story.

Latest posts