Help. 87 Jeep.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tompatt

Reaction score
ok. i thought everything was fine with my jeep except for it needing a new carb.... but something else is wrong with it and i dont know wat it is.... ok its a 5 gear stick shift... when im idling sometimes and when im at a stopsign or red light... i hear this tinging sound... like keys rattling or something. i hear it come from under the floor... im pretty sure its not from the engine. my dad said it might be my clutch goin out. wat do yall think? plz help.. :( :( :(

The first thing I would check would be the heat shields around the catalytic converter and/or muffler. You can stick a large screwdriver or prybar between the shield and the converter and give the shield a little bend. Might have to do it in a couple of places. This usually will "stiffen" it enough to stop the noise. It can really sing to you. It is really hard to guess what it is without actually hearing it. But this is quick and cheap to try.

As far as being the clutch?? Could possibly be the throwout bearing rattling. Or loose springs in either the clutch plate or pressure plate. Like I said...hard to diagnose without hearing it. I hope it is something simple.

Richard

phased said:
The first thing I would check would be the heat shields around the catalytic converter and/or muffler. You can stick a large screwdriver or prybar between the shield and the converter and give the shield a little bend. Might have to do it in a couple of places. This usually will "stiffen" it enough to stop the noise. It can really sing to you. It is really hard to guess what it is without actually hearing it. But this is quick and cheap to try.

As far as being the clutch?? Could possibly be the throwout bearing rattling. Or loose springs in either the clutch plate or pressure plate. Like I said...hard to diagnose without hearing it. I hope it is something simple.

Richard

thanks. im gonna run it for a while and try to hear where its coming from.

Could be the cat converter itself. When the internals of a cat break loose, they will rattle at idle.

Matt - previously owned 2 Cherokees, '89 and '96

phased said:

Richard

It could be the Heatshield, my wrangler when its stopped at a redlight and when i take off in 1st gear, i can hear a rattle underneath the jeep, come to find out it was the heatshield.

Latest posts