Advice for asking permission

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingBuds

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking for some pointers(advice) on asking permission to fish on some property.

I found out the owners name and I'm wondering on the approach of this? Should I say Hi mr Smith first or would that freak him out being I'm a stranger and all, or just say hello and introduce myself and my 10year old son(who I plan on taking with me)

Its right down the road from us and its a 3 acre pit on 160 acres of woods and crop land, I would love to hunt there too for deer cause we see them all the time there. Whats the best approach on this to make them feel comfortable? should I work in a warming gift?

watcha think guys, I've never approached a complete stranger like this to ask permission to fish :roll:

I would just go with your son, knock on the door and introduce yourself (tell them you live right down the road)and ask if you and your son can have permission to fish there.

Sometimes being plain and direct is the best approach. Plus they are jerks if they say no in front of your Son.

Remember to share your catch with them to big points that way they wont mind you coming back

I wouldnt share my catch if its a private pond, id let them know you plan to catch and release. Equired (AKA Capt. Ahab) also avocates taking a trash bag with ya when ya fish. Also let the owner know youll pickup any trash you see while fishing includeing your own.

I would have to agree with Jim. Simple, polite and direct (skip the gift until the second or third visit). My grandfather used the same approach back in the 50's & 60's when I fished with him. Times were simpler then and folks seemed more friendly and trusting, but he'd just walk up to the front door and knock. I don't ever recall him being turned down.

We never kept many fish unless the owner wanted the pond culled. Then we'd keep every fish we caught of that species and stop and ask the owner if he wanted them on the way out. Farmers would sometimes plow them into a field or feed them to their pigs. But most important if you get permission is to leave the place better than you found it.

I certainly recommend the direct approach as well - no gift. Here are my tips:

1. Do not show up with your rods in hand. Stop on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon or in the evening before sundown (no one likes a stranger in the dark);

2. Stop on a day when your are dressed neat a clean at least. I usually will stop on my way back from work while I still have a shirt and tie on. First appearances are everything;

3. Introduce yourself by pointing out that you are a neighbor - not some "unknown";

4. Always offer to share the harvest - if they want that. And clean the fish / dress the game, for them. Since most people in my neck of the woods do not eat fresh water fish, I point out that I practice catch and release, but offer them some flounder, tuna etc. next time i make a trip to the ocean;

5. Tell the owner that you will carry a trash bag and will clean up any trash you find.

6. If they mention the liability risk offer to provide them with an indemnification agreement. I can send you such an agreement if you need. This will state that you will not hold the property owner responsible if you or your son are injured or drown, etc. This always works as many property owners are afraid that you will do something stupid and later sue them.

REMEMBER TO SMILE!

If they say "no" leave it at that and continue to enjoy life - it is only fishing

I agree with Capt. Ahab... I would also suggest not asking to both fish and hunt at the same time. Ask if you can fish first and then after a few trips and a little time to see what time of person the owner is, work your way up to asking about hunting. Catching someones fish and turning them loose is one thing... but shooting their Bambi is another. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Everyones already said it, introduce yourself and son, explain your intentions and see what happens, try to put him at ease, let him know your son wont be fishing there without you. If he says no, than thank him and try to strike up a conversation on another subject,( nice house, nice yard, how lucky he is to have a pond on his property) just to show him you care. Good luck my friend.

I had some cards made for hunting and fishing season with my name and address, to give to property owners. They seem to like the idea. After I have permission I usually leave one on their doorstep if they are not at home so they know that I have been there that day.

DahFISH said:
I had some cards made for hunting and fishing season with my name and address, to give to property owners. They seem to like the idea. After I have permission I usually leave one on their doorstep if they are not at home so they know that I have been there that day.

Great idea!

Captain Ahab said:
DahFISH said:

Great idea!

So will your cards say Captain Ahab or Esquired ??? :mrgreen:

My dad, once he got permission to fish on some Wisconsin farmers property used to bring some cookies from the nearby bakery for the kids. He always made it a point to let them know when he got there and when he left. He always left the place cleaner than when he got there and was always welcomed back year after year. Their hospitality has been extended to me and my family because of the groundwork he laid out. I take carre not to ruin that. You could tell they were truely saddened to hear of his passing, as if he was a close personal friend. I guess after 20 years of fishing up there, he was that.

Captain Ahab said:
Great idea!

Thanks, I think people like to have something to look at and have. I also will print my liesence # on the card. I feel that it puts people at ease. If I'm willing to give my info, they feel that they can trust me maybe a little more than the next fellow.

DahFISH said:
Captain Ahab said:
Great idea!

Thanks, I think people like to have something to look at and have. I also will print my liesence # on the card. I feel that it puts people at ease. If I'm willing to give my info, they feel that they can trust me maybe a little more than the next fellow.

I also think it's an excellent idea. One question... do you write your car tag # on the card or your hunting/fishing licence # ??? I'm guessing it's your car tag so they will know it's you if they see the car.

For those who like the idea, but will only need a few cards, there are several business card templates available online that you can use to create your own cards at a fraction of the cost of having some done at their local printer. I've attached a tutorial for making business cards in Word and a blank template for use with Avery 8871 blanks to help get started.

Attachments

• Create Business Cards in Word.doc
    126 KB · Views: 35
  • Blank Business Card Template #1.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 28
WelcomeAnimated.gif

All great ideas. I've also volunteered my time to help out around the farm. I've knocked down sheds, helped roof a barn, dug fence posts and helped install gates for the horses over the past 15 years on a farm where I hunt. I always ask the owners if they need help with anything around the farm.

DocWatson said:
One question... do you write your car tag # on the card or your hunting/fishing licence # ??? I'm guessing it's your car tag so they will know it's you if they see the car.

I use my hunting or fishing licence# depending on the season. As well as leaving a card at the door step I also stick one in the window of my truck so they can identify the owner as me . So far not one problem.

Latest posts