Binocular question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I have a pair of Leupold 8x32 binoculars. For only having a 32mm objective lenses they are pretty bright but as I get older I am having trouble seeing the details. I use them primarily for birding. I been looking at a lot of new ones on the internet and can't decide what to do. I have read that magnifications 12x and up are hard to hold steady and you should have some kind of support - tripod, monopod etc. That really isn't practical out in the field, at least not the way I would be using them but only moving up to a 10x seems like too little magnification increase to make it worth buying another pair.

What I am wondering is if I got a higher end 10x with better optics, would the better optics and brightness make up for the lower magnification? I had been looking at 12x and 14x binoculars but now think it may not be a good idea. I know how hard it is to try to handhold a long camera lens even with image stabilization. If it's too shaky beyond 10x then I won't see the details anyway. I can't afford Swarovski or Leica but maybe can spring for Nikon or something in that range.

Leupold makes nice binoculars, I don't think nikon would be much better and your right about the shakiness. Anything more than 7x is shaky for me. A monopod is pretty easy to carry around though and would probably help. I have a pair of steiner which I don't think would be any better than Leupold either.
Tim

I know how tough it is to hold them steady, and the more powerful they are the tougher it gets. I'm not sure what difficulties it would present but I'd also recommend using one of the monopods like a Primos Trigger Stick. As far as new bino's, have you considered going to a zoom bino with a larger lens for more light. Something like a 7x20x50 maybe. That way when you don't need the extra magnification and the hassle of keeping them steady, you could turn the zoom down to 7-12x.

I usually carry 8 X 42 for birding, I have been considering a 10X for raptors, but I think even going 32 to 42 might make a difference for you. I wish they would let you take them outside to test them at the stores.

What is your budget? Because some people, especially birders, will call a $2000 pair of field glasses cheap, while others consider $500 cheap.

If you have $800 or so to spend, the Canon glasses with image stabilization work very well. That is what my dad uses on his sailboat and I was impressed. Here is an example: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/319775-USA/Canon_9332A002_12x36_IS_II_Image.html

Thanks for the input. I can't conceive of spending two grand on a pair of binoculars. I didn't really think in terms of a budget but I know I couldn't justify spending more than about $400. I suppose that means my budget is about $400! I guess I was wondering is a 10x with a larger objective lens would give sharper detail than a 12x with a smaller objective lens. Is it smarter money to buy larger magnification or a larger objective lens?