New member needs advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianc58

Reaction score
My name is Brian live in NE oklahoma Have always fished ponds and strip pits mainly from the bank. Have decided to get a jon boat or something like a scamp What would you guys prefer? I plan on fishing ponds , creeks , pits and some coves I'm roughly 270 lbs and most buddies that would go with me are over 200 lbs would a 14 ft jon be my best best considering the weight that will be in it . How stable are they and best brand to buy ? Has anyone hauled a 14 ft in a truckbed ? Any advice would be helpful Thanks a lot

brianc58,

ImVho, most 14 foot johnboats are UNSTABLE (some dangerously so) with 2 BIG men.

You'd be better served/safer with a 16 foot wider "shallow" or "semi" V-bottom or a deep/wide 16 foot johnboat.
(Be sure to NOT exceed the builder's HP recommendations.)

yours, satx

The wider the better. I would say for you situation no less then an 48" bottom not beam. and :WELCOME: As far as hauling a boat in the back of a pick up it is very doable just consider the weight for loading and on loading reasons.

Latest posts