I'm new here, hi everyone

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benson

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I signed up while looking at some of the modifications and some of the great info on various subjects. I just got my first boat last week, and am taking it out this weekend for the first time. My dad happened upon it while we were shopping for trailers as he was going to give me his 14' Alumacraft. Well, trailers seem to sell as fast as can be, so we were not finding anything decent. He stopped at a boat dealer near his cabin and found this. He gave me the motor off his Alumacraft (which was actually in his shed for the last 5 years) and here we are. Over the weekend, I cleaned it up, and we got the motor running. Tomorrow night, we'll be changing the oil in the lower unit, and then we should be good to go. My kids are very excited to get out fishing in it. Aside from a few rentals a year when camping, and going out on my dad's pontoon, this'll be a kind of new experience for them. They love fishing though, and we've been doing a lot of dock fishing the last couple of years.

The motor is a 1974 Johnson 15 hp with electric start. Once we cleaned the spark plugs, it started right up. We're going to change the plugs and oil tomorrow as I mentioned.

A couple of quick questions for those of you reading. I'm trying to decide on a fish finder. I don't want to drill through the transom, so I'm either going to go with the board and c clamp route, or a suction cup mount if I can find one. But aside from that, what do you guys recommend? I'm all over the place on this decision. I'm open to spending a bit, but I'd probably prefer something under $500. A coworker has a Humminbird 571 that he likes, and got a great deal on. I'll be honest, of what I have looked at I like the Lowrance Elite 4 HDI as it has a decent price, and a bunch of features. I like the idea of the maps and downward imaging, but I wonder how worthwhile all that is. I haven't used a fish finder since I was a kid fishing with my parents, and those were pretty much like that 571 is, showing depth, fish, and some structure. And to let you know, I'll mostly be fishing for panfish with the kids, and walleye and some trolling for northerns/musky with my dad.

Second, do any of you use fenders or anything when docking? I'll be camping this weekend, and likely tying up to a dock when we aren't fishing, and I was just wondering. I assume not a lot of people do, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks for the help!

Also, here's a picture from my dad's house before he dropped it off.
dzPExr5.jpg

Welcome. Lots of great people here with a lot of knowledge. Great looking rig. You should consider changing the water pump impeller if the motor has not been run in 5 years. I use a couple of old seat cushions for fenders when we tie up to a dock :LOL2: .
Consider using a cutting board to mount your transducer. You can see how I did mine in the link below my signature.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=355487#p355487 said:
gillhunter » 11 Jun 2014, 16:32[/url]"]Welcome. Lots of great people here with a lot of knowledge. Great looking rig. You should consider changing the water pump impeller if the motor has not been run in 5 years. I use a couple of old seat cushions for fenders when we tie up to a dock :LOL2: .
Consider using a cutting board to mount your transducer. You can see how I did mine in the link below my signature.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention we'll be changing the water pump impeller and the seals on the screws as well.

I looked through your thread, that's a great looking boat!

And I did read a few things about the cutting board option. I may look into that. I wanted to go with something temporary first so I could find the right spot as I haven't done it before.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=355584#p355584 said:
Kismet » 12 Jun 2014, 13:04[/url]"]Welcome.

That promises to be a very nice rig.

Be safe, have fun.

=D>
Thanks! I see you are from SW WI, I've camped and fly fished there a bit. Though the last couple years, my fly fishing has been mostly relegated to the Kinnickinnic and a trip to the Brule.

Latest posts