Removing Weeds

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cubman

Reaction score
The local pond that I fish is being overtaken by weeds. Would removing some of the weeds affect the fish? I usually fish from the bank at the far left side of the picture. I want to create a couples of gaps in the weeds so I don't have to hop my spinnerbait over them on every retreive. Also, The weeds in the background form a solid mass that covers maybe 1/3 of the pond. Would making a couple of channels through the weeds kill anything? I am thinking about putting a weight on the end of a rope, chucking it out, and dragging them in :?: Thanks.

DSC02063.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to explain that. My friend's neighbor is the owner of the 'former' golf course, which is currently being turned into a subdivision. The pond will eventually be drained. If it matters, the species I have seen are: LM Bass, SM Bass, Brim, Carp, and Turtles.

Go ahead an try - it is far more difficult then you might think. You can make a few channels (which will spook the fish) and in a day or so they will fill back in.

Use some frogs and such in the weeds

we have a hydrorake hit our lake every year.
i swear the stuff comes back stronger each year
good luck

you might be better off just trying some weedless options :)

I don't think it is worth your time taking them out. I make channels in weed mats once in a while with deep diving cranks and heavy line, then come back and fish them later. The weeds will come back fast. Honestly, I would rather fish it the way it is. Spool up with some braid and you will do fine with frogs and weedless rigged plastics.

Thanks for the replies. Here is my setup at the moment:

Shimano Sahara 1500 (Spinning Reel)
Shakespeare Ugly Stik 6'6" MH
Trilene XT 8 lb test

I was using a Ribbit Frog texas-rigged weightless today, and it worked flawlessly in open water, but it would just lay on top of the weeds, and the legs would not kick on the retrieve. It eventually got stuck, and no amount of yanking, no matter where I was on the bank, would get it undone. I also tried what Esquired reccomended, with the Buggy-Whip. It did save the same frog from a low hanging branch the other day, but I would not pull the frog out of these weeds.

Is there anything wrong with this setup? Do I need a baitcaster and braid to fish these weeds?

hell yeah to the braid. i make some really STUPID casts on my pond with my braid any hardly ever lose and plastic

Hey Cubman.... I assume that's the Chicago Cubs??? Where you from? This a Chicago are pond??

Oh yeah, fish the weeds as is with a top water weedless - lots less hassle and should work okay....

I am in east Tennessee. Cubman is because I am also interested in Piper Cub airplanes. I still do not understand how to fish in the weeds. Do I just skim a worm or frog on top of the weeds? No one else in my family fishes, so I am trying to figure this out as I go.

Cubman said:
Do I just skim a worm or frog on top of the weeds?
The bass might blow up through the grass/weeds but I would throw your frog as close as possible to parallel to the weedline and work it back. That usually works for me. Also, where there are scattered patches of weeds, throw your frog or worm all over the place. The bass could be anywhere and can hit it from anywhere. Just experiment and let the fish tell you. If you get a hit using one technique, try to replicate that and you'll probably get another hit.

Cubman said:
I am in east Tennessee. Cubman is because I am also interested in Piper Cub airplanes. I still do not understand how to fish in the weeds. Do I just skim a worm or frog on top of the weeds? No one else in my family fishes, so I am trying to figure this out as I go.

Well, I sure was wrong about the "Cubman" handle....that's what I get for assuming :lol: :lol:

But, you can still fish the weeds with topwater weedles rigs, spoons, frogs, etc., and get good reaction from underneath....

BTW, I'm familiar with your area, fished Norris a lot back in the 70's & 80's - my wife's family is from outside Knoxville....

Cubman - you need to get some braided line (like about 20lb) and just fish the weeds. Several of the ponds I fish are a complete weed choked mess - my tackle is never heavy enough (I use 8 lb PP line) but Jake (jkbirocz) does really well with Texas Rigged Senkos and Spro weedless frogs. He uses 20 lb or more on a baitcaster and can really power through that thick stuff if he needs to.

I have watched teh bas explode through super thick weeds after his lures so no where is safe.

My spool has the following listed on it:
LINE CAP.
(lb.-yds.)
4-170
6-130
8-90

Could I use braid on this reel? Would it fit on the spool? Would the internals of the reel give out before the line snaps? If so, do you have any reccomendations for baitcasters no more than $60? I have a Dicks Sporting Goods and Gander Mountain locally, but I guess I could order one off the computer. Thanks.

Since the pond is being drained, can you rescue the fish and put them in the river or another farm pond? I'm sure there is a lunker in there, somewhere. And when it is drained, go look for lost crankbaits :)

Cubman said:
My spool has the following listed on it:
LINE CAP.
(lb.-yds.)
4-170
6-130
8-90

Could I use braid on this reel? Would it fit on the spool? Would the internals of the reel give out before the line snaps? If so, do you have any reccomendations for baitcasters no more than $60? I have a Dicks Sporting Goods and Gander Mountain locally, but I guess I could order one off the computer. Thanks.

Your line capacity is ok, but can your reel handle the braid? What kind of reel is it?

20# braid is equal to 6 pound mono and 30# braid is equal to 8 pound mono. You want to fill the spool at least 40-50 percent mono, then tie on the braid. No use wasting it.

I agree, Spro frogs are pretty darn good for that kinda stuff, I always hold my rod tip almost vertical when hopping the frog and when I hit an open spot of water I let the frog rest, hop it once, let it rest, hop it twice, let it rest than hop it 3 times and repeat this pattern.

A Worm, I hold the rod almost vertical, reel the worm just fast enough not to get hung up but when you hit open water let it sink to the bottom than hop it, the same way with lilly pads, the fish are following the vibration and if he doesnt bust through to get it he will get it when it falls in the open water. Ca-beech?

Latest posts