More about tools

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't want to highjack Y_J's thread about tools so I'll post this related message here. When looking at tools there are other considerations beyond brand name. Several years ago I bought what I thought was a good six foot step ladder by a reputable manufacturer. I got a fiberglass with aluminum steps after having used so many rickety wooden ones and floppy aluminum ones. Good idea? Maybe...

In July of 2011 while re-roofing the garage I was on said ladder. I leaned left and it deflected right. Two broken ribs and a fractured vertebrae later (add one $700 pair of glasses - hospital bill in excess of $30K) and I was off my feet for two weeks and had to miss the end of the fishing season. Well yesterday my ol' trusty did it again. I'm not fooling around. Right foot on the first rung, right hand on the fourth. As I raised my left foot to climb on the ladder lurched right and I went to the garage floor. There are three threads linking these separate events. Me, the ladder in question and landing on concrete. Thing is that for more than 40 years I used ladders all the time in my work and never - never - fell off one. Never. So I analyze what's going on. Is it me? Well, I don't fall off other ladders. It's surely not the concrete floor's fault. It was just laying there. That leaves the ladder.

It turns out that the plastic top of the ladder has a great deal of flexibility and you don't want that in a ladder. I can't believe the company hasn't been sued out of existence by now. This is what I believe is called an inherent flaw or possibly a design flaw. I may be wrong but I believe the purpose of a ladder isn't just for climbing up and down. Typically they're used to help people accomplish tasks and as such have to be built in a way as to accommodate weight shifts and a certain amount of other movement. Not this one. So as not to leave myself open to a libel suit I'll just use the initial of the company and let you figure it out from there. It's W and do not buy this fiberglass frame, aluminum stepped and braced and poorly designed plastic-topped step ladder.

I've included two photo's. First shows the deflection after I took a digger and because everyone here loves to do mods, my mod on the afore mentioned ladder. It won't have any repeat performances - ever!

I've got a fine collection of ladders built just like that. Thanks for the warning. I've fallen once and never knew why. All I remember was that I was headed toward the drive way and I was about to straddle the ladder. Protecting the man parts I stiff leg landed. I never went to the ER but my heel was cracked.

yes i had something similar happen while preparing for my daughter to arrive, i was on a 3 rung step ladder. paint was Barney purple (my wifes choice, dont argue with pregnant lady), i was on middle rung and "pretezel" wanted to do tricks. i fell, in turn tossing roller heavily ladden with barney effen purple paint across carpeted floor. luckily i was not hurt by the fall. when my wife got home i wished had had died in the incident as she was very upset! yes please be careful when using any ladder. the ladder named "pretzel" has been replaced by a modern 3 step step ladder.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=358056#p358056 said:
lovedr79 » 02 Jul 2014, 13:47[/url]"]yes i had something similar happen while preparing for my daughter to arrive, i was on a 3 rung step ladder. paint was Barney purple (my wifes choice, dont argue with pregnant lady), i was on middle rung and "pretezel" wanted to do tricks. i fell, in turn tossing roller heavily ladden with barney effen purple paint across carpeted floor. luckily i was not hurt by the fall. when my wife got home i wished had had died in the incident as she was very upset! yes please be careful when using any ladder. the ladder named "pretzel" has been replaced by a modern 3 step step ladder.

Was she upset about the purple-painted carpet, or you being hurt?

Virtually all stepladders are made like that now - the plastic top is hard to get away from.

That said, I think Louisville ladders have a stiffer construction than anyone else. I've been in all kinds of "questionable" positions on them and never had one feel very flakey.

Ladders are like most things for sale these days in that you can save money and get the "cheap" version of a particular product, or you can pay a bit more, and get the "heavy duty" or "commercial" grade, or something in between. And as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. Since climbing can be detrimental to your health, it's one area that I am all for spending that extra dollar and get something made to hold up better. With that being said, I own 3 Werners (step and extension ladders) that I use in my work. The are heavy duty (rated for 300 + lbs.) and they work very well. I have an older fiberglass ladder similar to the one you cut up and I have to be very careful when and how I set it up or it can be unstable.

Ditto, if it ain't Commercial rated stay away. I do have a nice wooden one that I would not sell or give away. I can walk it or move it with my feet (while hanging from something) but it doesn't do tricks on it's own.

Latest posts