summer home project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Haven't been fishing much lately, as I'm in the middle of another summer project. We finally got around to re-doing the stairs after many years of wanting to. We pulled-off the old carpet and padding and got down to construction-grade wood (2"x6"s and plywood). The removal part is taxing as they used multiple nails and 3" long drywall screws :roll: . We've got a few of the first few oak steps cut and set in place (not attached), with the top 4 original rough steps to remove. Took a couple pics last night with my phone to show the progress. Still a long ways away from completion, with the railing still to do (I dread that part), plus sanding, staining (treads, risers, rail) and painting the skirt board on the side of the steps. (pics are kinda blurry)

pic showing partially done steps & the top 4 old steps to remove:
95_11_06_08_10_16_15.JPG

ones done so far, not attached yet:
95_11_06_08_10_15_43.JPG

Very Very Nice, This is looks like the start of something when all done, you can throw your chest out and say "I did this".

Nice work! When your done with yours and with your work in MA :lol: :lol: I need you to stop by to do my stairs and then we can go fishing! :lol: Seriously nice work you almost inspired me to do mine, however I am going to try to make it through this summer without any major home projects.

Thanks fellas :) . I made it to city park lake this morning for about an hour with no bites, so headed home to the project. In the process of removing the very top original step this morning I had to remove 10 3" long drywall screws that they had countersunk, and 5 16d nails, What a b!tch that was! :shock: . Jim and Joe, I appreciate your offers but respectfully decline, lol :) . Well, back to the wood-butchering, lol
crazy_face.gif

Nice job waterwings. Are you going to install railings? They seem like they would be a pain in the butt.

Waterwings - while Jim and Joe will take you fishing - I will take you catching. And, of course, i will get bored with the house project in about 10 minutes, so we would be mostly fishing.

let me know when you will arrive :lol:

You do great work!

I feel your pain, last weekend was spent rearranging kitchen cabinets, installing dishwasher, microwave, moving the fridge, new countertops and new flooring will be soon.

Looks like you've done an awesome job. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the finished product.

yea projects =D>

I've been told we need a new kitchen :shock: the one I use is fine I told her :lol: She said the one she uses more than me isn't fine anymore :mrgreen:

I guess next year I'll be doing the same WW #-o

Thanks again fellas 8) . Fortunately, the pic I took is blurry and hides some of small mistakes, lol. Yep, will be doing railing and ballusters, which I am really, really dreading :shock: . I'll post some pics of the progress sometime this weekend.

Can't go fishing, so I thought I'd post an update of the stair project which is still in progress. The treads are still not attached (just sitting there), but my wife has stained them, except for the top one which I did last night. The risers are nailed-in, but not stained yet. The skirt board is new (didn't have one before) and it's attached and now has 2 coats of paint on it. Still a lot of work to do to complete the project, including installing the railing, and will have to apply a couple coats of semi-gloss polyurethane to steps, risers, and handrail, then paint the walls.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/displayimage.php?album=69&pos=0
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/displayimage.php?album=69&pos=1

You guys have heard me talk about how I don't like a cluttered deck and a dirty boat, well, here's what happens when you leave the boat in the garage during a project :cry: . Hard to tell in pic, but the entire thing is covered in a layer of sawdust from wood cutting. My wife says once we're done she'll vacuum all the carpet for me :)

boatdeck1.JPG

I spent last night installing the new oven, and today was spent replacing some shingles on a 12/12 pitch roof, and then pulling gutters off the back of the house. In the coming months, we will be adding a front porch, remodeling the kitchen, and removing a kitchen wall.

Good job on those stairs. I like heavy construction, but interior trim work is a total pain. If only trim was made of aluminum..... :lol:

bassboy1 said:
I spent last night installing the new oven, and today was spent replacing some shingles on a 12/12 pitch roof, and then pulling gutters off the back of the house. In the coming months, we will be adding a front porch, remodeling the kitchen, and removing a kitchen wall.

Good job on those stairs. I like heavy construction, but interior trim work is a total pain. If only trim was made of aluminum..... :lol:

Looks like you have your work cutout for you! :shock: . Our house has a 12/12 pitch roof also. When we had the shingles replaced we had someone do it, as I won't even attempt to do that, mainly because I'd screw it up, and at my age I don't bounce when I hit the ground anymore...I just break and lay there, lol. :shock: . Still working on the stairs :(

Waterwings said:
bassboy1 said:

Looks like you have your work cutout for you! :shock: . Our house has a 12/12 pitch roof also. When we had the shingles replaced we had someone do it, as I won't even attempt to do that, mainly because I'd screw it up, and at my age I don't bounce when I hit the ground anymore...I just break and lay there, lol. :shock: . Still working on the stairs :(
I know all about that fallin business!!
Two years ago in Oct. I "slipped" off of my roof while I was trying to save some $ and do it myself HA HA and I found out real quick that 215 lbs. and 15 ft. later....stuff breaks and it don't bounce!!!!!!!!!!Go ahead and laugh,everyone else did!! :roll:

PS Those stairs are lookin' good WW =D>
And we all feel your pain I'm sure!! Couple of weeks ago I "helped" the wife redo the kitchen :x Man I hate painting in the house!!!!!!!!

kentuckybassman said:
PS Those stairs are lookin' good WW =D>
And we all feel your pain I'm sure!! Couple of weeks ago I "helped" the wife redo the kitchen :x Man I hate painting in the house!!!!!!!!

Thanks :) . Painting is not my favorite thing either. Talking of falling, last week our oldest daughter slipped off of one step on the outside stairs leading down from her apartment. She now has seven stainless screws and a plate holding her ankle together where it broke. She got the staples out this morning and now has a hard cast on it. She's down for the next 8 weeks now.

Latest posts