The pro and cons on 12 ft deep v boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ritchie904

Reaction score
Thanking of buying A Lowe angler 1257 V for fishing on lake . Will be by myself most of time. Is this a good boat ? Can some you guys tell me the pro and cons ? Thanks to all and good fishing.

Pros: A V Hull will be a little more stable in rough water while anchored.
It will ride smoother across rougher water while under way.

Cons: It will have a little more draft than a flat bottom boat.
If there is no floor installed the bottom will not be flat to walk on.

The guys on this site can probably give you more on this subject.

If solo you may need a little weight up front. Depends on motor size and trim. A longer run of wire if you run a trolling motor battery to put it up front might be enough. I run weight heavy aft solo but it's from putting every thing in the stern.
While not identical to yours,a test drive would tell if your oar locks are far enough to also row from rear seat.A convenience I came to like even with some one in center seat. My little twelve rows like a leaf when solo and is fine for very skinny water with the gas motor tipped up first. V ends well before rear of hull allowing easy maneuvering, but it still cuts a bit out of waves taking out more of the banging of a flat front when wind is up.

All that and easy to maneuver in and out of the water, easy to trailer even with a small vehicle, easy to launch and retrieve by yourself and can be easily rowed. But it is not the largest hull on the water, so keep an eye out for wakes and weather. I am assuming the 57 inches is at the gunwale so it is not particularly wide. Use care in adding weight and,yes, you will need to put some of it in the nose. You will do best if you test various weight distribution patterns before you bolt stuff in. I loved my Gregor and would get another in the right circumstances.

Latest posts