TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New River Rat

Reaction score
In 1999, Silverado went from being a package for a Chevrolet 1500 pickup to being a model line. I Liked the (then) new look, found one I could live with, and bought it.

I went to the river today, knowing this would be happening. Naturally, I'm on a road that makes the Ho Che Mein trail look like an interstate. I had to click this pic while driving.

qtrmil_zps47c06b89.jpg

Found a safe place to pull off.

250k_zps34923a98.jpg

Awesome!!! I love my 2004 Chevy, 82,000 and looking at your truck a long life ahead of it.[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1405119692769.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1405119692769.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405119692769.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,412
That's a quarter million miles - 16 1/3 thousand miles a year since 1999. That's cool. I remember the "planned obsolescence" days when you got close to 80K it was time to unload. My Jeep is only at 125K but going strong.

What's great is it was doing what it does best. Pulling the tin to the river. I bet 1/2 the miles on her involve boats, rafts, canoes, kayaks.

Edit: The one before this was an '84 that after 21 years had 280k on her.

Glad to see this post, My 1999 Silverado 1500 has 35,831 mi. on it; now I know it will last the rest of my life! :lol:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=359275#p359275 said:
overboard » 12 Jul 2014, 08:08[/url]"]Glad to see this post, My 1999 Silverado 1500 has 35,831 mi. on it; now I know it will last the rest of my life! :lol:

I was thinking the same thing!

I just scored a 99 Tahoe with 87K on the clock. Given my 3 minute commute and occasional road trips, it should be around a long time.

I sold my 2000 Sierra to my FIL and it has over 250k on it now was a great truck. Now driving a 12 Silverado but miss the old girl at times. The new ones nice but it ain't the same :)

I tend to question things that we are told as "fact", we sometimes never give thought to things, but blindly accept the things we're told Something that has always bothered me is hearing that if you put miles on a vehicle, it's resale value is hurt and you are losing money. I call B.S. on this. You are going to get more fore your vehicle if and only if someone wants to pay you more. My anal brother in law refuses to drive a car or truck unless it is absolutely necessary on this premiss. Why? Because this is what "they say" you should do. I try to tell him he is losing money letting it sit, paying for something rarely used. A truck that is being used doesn't deteriorate like one that sits, and I can keep updated on anything that comes up maintanance-wise as it happens. Hey, rust never sleeps, ya know!

I thought I'd add that every mile on it is mine. Not used going in with high miles. The engines internal workings has never seen the light of day. I have replaced the alternator, belts and hoses. The first thing I added was a transmission cooler. Every fishing trip was from an elevation of roughly 900 feet, over mountains up to 3200 feet. That can cook a transmission, but this baby still works great!

Geez, I feel like I'm beating mine into the ground after reading the previous posts.

1998 K2500 6.5 TD - 451,000.

Most of it doing this:

1237d529-1.jpg

On trips like this:

3bc56b4f-1696-4da6-91cb-ba4c9957e8c4_zpsa6f4e9ce.jpg

(that's the trip that popped engine #2, see below)

When it's not doing that, it's running around on dirt roads or taking me back and forth to work daily.

It's had a couple engines though. First one popped before 100,000. They had a production design fault and it cracked the #8 cylinder and found water. Second one popped at 415,000. Just plain worn out and stove in a piston crown on Snoqualmie Pass in Wa. New one only has 35,000-ish on it and hasn't seen much trailering, relatively speaking.

Had lots of other 6.5 related problems like pump driver modules (4 years on the current one and going strong) and other electronic bits.

Well, there's also stuff like brakes, tires, starter, water pumps, etc. But that's the same with any vehicle that you keep for a while.

I, personally, could care less about resale values.

I run 'em until they can't be run anymore......then I run 'em some more!

:)

You do usually end up in a love/hate relationship with it though. You get tired of dealing with breakdowns after a while.....

Latest posts