New Used Boat!!! What to do first?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bestrongpt

Reaction score
So I ended up doing the trade for a 1979 sears gamefisher with 1962 evinrude 5.5. Took it out yesterday for the first time and it did good. No leaks, engine ran great and after first time getting it started it started one pull every time. The engine runs super smooth and looks like new. Looking the forums is making me want to start doing some work to but not sure where to start.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 684
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 684
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 684
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 684
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 684
Nice buy.

There is no rule that mandates that you HAVE to do anything to your rig.

Check the wheel bearings, make sure your gas mix is correct, license it appropriately, and use it for the rest of this season.

You've got one of the all-time most reliable motors, a nice hull design, adequate seats, and time.

Use all four, then make a calculated decision on whether you can improve what you have, or you're just anxious to start messing around to make it "your boat."

:)

Be safe, have fun.

Thanks I appreciate it. I actually got it in a trade. The guy I got it from actually took care of all that for me. He redid everything to get it in running and functional. Went out yesterday with it and it did great.

Use it for awhile & see what you like & don't like. It's best to take things slowly & get things done right/how you like the first time instead of wasting time/energy/$$$ on things that you wish you had done different. I did some quick & hastily done mods to my boat last year in order to be able to crappie & bass fish easier, well to say they didn't work out quite as well as I thought. So right now I'm in the process of completely redoing my old boat.