Seats or No Seats?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonynoriega

Reaction score
I have a couple of seats that came with my boat when first acquired.

They have some sort of hand made slide down mounting bracket that, if I were to put them on today I know would just gouge the **** out of my freshly painted benches.

Not gonna happen.

I dont mind sitting on the bench when driving. I straddle it and just make due.

I figured I could just remove these home made brackets and mount the seats permanently to the bench, but am weary of drilling any holes into the bench.

Then I thought I could secure a nice piece of treated solid wood to the bench, then secure the seat to that.

I know its all preference, but I see some of you do, and some of you dont have seats.

They are in pretty good condition still, and one is even red that would match my boat.

thoughts?

No treated wood!!!!!

Use anything but treated. The chemicals in the wood will react with the aluminum and eat it away.

Sorry, I mis spoke... Not treated as in "pressure treated"

Treated as in , spar urethane (several coats) then maybe some paint... or not.

I did not mean pressure treated. That I found out a long time ago.

[url=https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=359828#p359828 said:
huntinfool » 33 minutes ago[/url]"]No treated wood!!!!!

Use anything but treated. The chemicals in the wood will react with the aluminum and eat it away.

I went from bench to seats 'cause I had to have them. However, I was thinking (was because I have switched boats), that I kind of liked it better without seats.
Quite helpful, eh? :)

I prefer seats if they are comfortable and have a suitably high back. Be sure you know exactly where you want them based on how you use the boat. You will likely need a backing plate. If they are swivel seats be sure to allow enough room between the seat and the ply so they can turn without gouging the new flat surface underneath. Match the diameter of the hole you drill to the diameter of the fastener to avoid possible slipping.

As usual when after a waterproof backer or shim I grabbed a plastic cutting board to mount a seat. Cut to match base out line. I did it between wood seat and base to get clearance between seat and bench.

I have a seat. I miss the bench because you can shift your weight to level out the boat better. I'll replace it one day with a padded bench.

Just put seats in mine... The kind that clamp with the wing nuts and swivel. Being able to lean back while running the boat helps my back after being out there all day.

My benches were a bit low and too hard. I also wanted to be able to shift weight. Here is what I did fore and aft. Swivel seats with slides. They work great.
Mike

Latest posts