Navionics iphone app

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtdawg88

Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with the navionics iphone app? There are no reviews for it in the App Store. I wonder how it compares to some of there other stuff. For $15 almost seems too good to be true.

One drawback to the app on a smartphone is the small screen. The app is good, lots of detail but still a small screen you are looking at.

I bought the us map version i think for 9.99 last week and really like it so far. Only bad thing is it drains my phone battery quick!

I bought it specifically for the SonarCharts which is lake contour/topo maps made by the sonar logs from other users sonar units. I fish a lake which has no maps available from navionics, lake insight, or a paper map for that matter. Now with Sonarcharts I finally have a lake map to use to find drop offs and humps which is pretty cool.

I found it to be a battery killer. Maybe if I didnt have a chart plotter and hooked up a phone charger in the boat it would have been more useful

I have found it to be quite usefull, pretty accurate contour lines and covers a wide variety of lakes.
and yes, it will drain the phone battery unless its kept plugged in, worth every penny of the 10 bucks imo.

It came in very handy for me last year when my combo unit decided to go belly up. I discovered it wasn't going to work after a 2hr drive to the lake. It took me a little bit, but I finally remembered I had downloaded the app. Broke out the phone and used the navionics app to get to the area I had planned on fishing, then proceeded to catch fish without the large unit. It saved the trip for me. I also like it because I can break it out anywhere and plan out fishing trips or check out new bodies of water any time I want.

I have the app on my Android, battery usage is about the same as any GPS app. I have it on my tablet as well and want to try it out on that. it has no data plan but if I download the maps before I head out it should work.

Not exactly a navionics app, but here's what I use for mine:

https://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/AtlanticCoastViewerTable.shtml

With this, I'm able to view any nautical chart for whatever area I'm in.

I feel it is well worth the $10. Yes it drains your battery quick but I mainly used it for location (sunken islands mainly) purposes before I got a fishfinder with GPS.

Last year it saved my hide on the St. Lawrence River, even though its not for navigation it helped me get through the thousand islands area. I left the dock in the dark so I used the app to help me "navigate" to where I knew I wanted to go. My GPS fishfinder recorded the path thankfully. On my way home the weather turned bad quick. The battery on my phone died from the app but I was able to trace my 12 mile path on the fish finder. A half hour trip could've taken hours if I couldn't cruise along my previous path.

After having it and now owning a GPS dish finder, I would buy it again. It's nice to research lakes when you are sitting around on the couch or on your lunch break.

I have the Ipad app and love it. I don't actually own a boat but get to deal with them everyday. Lucky me!! I get to use any of the tin boats that we have here so I don't have a GPS that I can use to mark waypoints and so forth so this was the next best thing and I love it. It's almost as good as the Navionics platinum card.

Latest posts