Stopping "Beeping" when hatch is open on my van??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I want to carry a small boat to the bay INSIDE of my van. I own a toyota sienna van. Boat is 11.5 feet long, space inside is 9 feet. No problem if two feet of the boat sticks out,

BUT...I have to leave the hatch wide open to make it all work. That is fine. ..except for the d#$% beeping all of the time. The sensor (wherever that is) shows the door open and NEVER stops...beep beep beep driving me nuts. .

I looked for the sensor switch and can't find it. I thought I would just tape it up, as if the hatch was clsoed.

Any and all ideas appreciated. thanks Rich

I don't know if this will help but I had to drill out a license plate screw on my dads sienna yesterday. In order to keep the self closer from working I pulled the retainer on the prop rod and activated the closer. Now I had the engine off so I don't know if it had any effect on the door open chime.

Yep. he must have the expensive van version.

I am the "self closer" on this one. thanks.

I did check to see if anything was attached to the gas operated closers. Nothing there on this model.
thanks, keep the ideas coming!
richg99

Well, due to my previous post, "help stop the beeping when the hatch was left open" a person, on another forum, trying to help, suggested that I try clicking the lock shut with a screwdriver. The theory was that the "beeper" switch might be tied into the locking mechanism.

I did as he suggested. The beeping continues...AND NOW..I can't get the manually locked lock to unlock.

My hatch is now tied down, until I can either get it unlocked, or get to a Toyota dealer on Monday. As I'd like to use my van tomorrow, I am hoping someone here knows how to unlock a manually locked latch.

I tried using the key remote. I also tried using the driver side door lock release. Neither had any effect.

Any help here? thanks rich

If it takes a key, put it in and turn it...you will have to take your finger and manually pull it open.
Atleast thats what works on my truck door, when the latch gets locked by accident.

I was able to get it open in the simplest of ways. After trying the remote, the front door release....I failed to try the simple manual small handle/bar that I use to open it every day. Duhhhh!!!!!!

I tried that and the locked latch is now open,

Still have the beeping issue, however. Rich

I'd rather not eliminate the beeping system, just trying to shut it down temporarily when I carry the boat.

If nothing else fails, and I find the fuse in an easily accessible location...then I may have to resort to removing the fuse.

However, it seems that one fuse does many things on these newer cars. I'd hate to shut down, inadvertently, some other safety function of the van.

I googled Toyota door chime and found a couple of ways to kill just the door chime and not effect the chime for other needs.
Look for a link to Toyota nation.

Have you tried calling a dealership or checking with a local auto parts store for how to replace the chime and if it's a DIY job?? That might at least tell you where it is.

Latest posts