Mod / project areas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a new topic concerning where everyone's mods and little projects take place. Post pics if you want.

What prompted the idea was my wife asked me yesterday how long I'd had my little Black & Decker Workmate portable bench. I realized I've been toting that thing around since around 1980, when I bought it while stationed in Chasn, SC. That thing has seen a lot of wood cutting, hammering-on, drilling, glueing, and also been left out in the rain once in the 28 years I've had it. I thought about replacing the top on it, but haven't decided yet :roll: . The mess of wood laying behind it are remnants of my current stair project:
workbench1.JPG

Well, here it is from the outside.
prop004.jpg

Here are a couple inside shots.
prop005.jpg

prop006.jpg

Currently, it is a horrible mess, but at some point in this century, that may change. We don't exactly have time to fix it all at once, and have never been able to finish putting it together since we moved in, somewhat frantically.
This is a 20 foot radial arm saw table. Someday, the miter saw will be on the end, on a portable stand, so it can be easily moved to a job somewhere.
prop008.jpg

This is our motor work area. Those plastic drawers contain parts from various motors we have disassembled. One motor to a drawer. There is a sink on the other side of the parts washer. Only problem is, the wrenches and such to work on motors are in the tool boxes on the other side of the shop. And, the chisels and abrasives somehow ended up in this corner. Go figure. All that will be changed at some point.
prop007.jpg

Here is the handiest plywood/sheet metal storage rack. But, somehow the pipe clamps worked their way onto it.
prop009.jpg

The long lumber rack. Steel is stored on firring strips on the floor below, as it comes in 20 foot sticks. That way, it can go under the steps, and wood, which is generally up to 16, will stop just short of the steps into the house.
prop010.jpg

Here is where all the mechanics stuff is, right by the door, but farthest from the small engine repair. Ideally, the common stuff (wrenches, sockets etc) will be on a rolling cart, and specialty stuff will stay here.
prop011.jpg

The compressor is under the radial arm saw, and there is air at the end of that saw table, and on this reel, which will reach outside to work on cars/trailers.
prop013.jpg

Also have this reel, which will reach anywhere inside.
prop014.jpg

We also have both 115, and 230v power all down the side wall that the long saw table is on, in the corner that the motor table is, and on each of the lolli columns. We are working on power at the end of the shop by the roll up doors, and underneath the benches. And, the lighting is a bit lacking at the moment.

Although it seems a bit cramped now, once we get a place for everything, it will open up a bit. Though the walls are about full, there is a LOT of storage space under the radial arm saw table. Also, we haven't used up all the overhead, and the Home Depot style racks in the back aren't used to their fullest potential. We are also trying to make everything as double duty as possible, having tool stands double as convenient storage. Having to get quite a bit more creative to make everything work in this shop, as the last one was 2 stories, and each story was quite a bit bigger than this. Woodworking was upstairs (with a pickup height, covered loading dock) and automotive/metal working/engine repair was downstairs, with a clear span, and none of those stupid lolli collums that we have in our way with this one.

The doors are around to the back of the house, so that coupled with the incredible hill we are on, and the nice wooded lot allows us to store all our broken boats and other junk completely out of sight, until you drive all the way around back. The original owners disigned it to hold their RV. Otherwise, there isn't a chance we would be able to have such facility in the area of the city that we live in.

Latest posts