newbie -NEEDS ADVICE- winter storage /maintenance-do list

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzybil

Reaction score
lotta fun -my 1st summer with a boat,learning to fish.........now that cold has settled in and hard freeze predictions.......prolly not going out for a while.. I have never changed oil or spark plugs in an outboard....its a new tohatsu 20hp with power trim.....original oil and fluid...... i checked the oil coupla times -and was told don't worry about a breakin change (new).......

i'm wanting to change oil now , idk if you're supposed to change trim fluid ? plugs ? and don't have a clue.

any advice ...pointers.... do and don't ..... INSTRUCTIONS.... not sure if i can do any harm winging it ?....really appreciate any thoughts on this task or other winter storage steps....tips

also have a TM on front hooked to charger.......really NO CLUE if any maintenance or protection needs ? is there anything i should spray wd40 on ? its a saltwater MK...

worked my tail off last winter to buy these 2....... i'd like them to last..........i figure the EXPERIENCED GUYS HERE.....can tell me

ps -> zzzybil is pronounced sybil - lol...... this girl can change hats , back a trailer hahaha and dress fish.....i change the oil on my car.......doubt this is harder, i'm just not sure how to do it yet

You never really said but your comments about changing "oil" makes it sound like you're referring to engine oil and not lower unit oil. But just to be on the safe side, you might want to identify your motor a little better, like what year/model it is as well as whether it's 2 cycle or 4 cycle.

My motor is a 2 cycle: winterizing for me:
I drain the lower unit oil, check for contamination or leaks, leave it drained til spring.
Take out the plugs, squirt some oil in there, turn the engine over about 5 times and put the plugs back in.
Drain the bowls on the carbs.
Put the starting battery on a maintainer.
Verify the bilge plug is out, no water in livewell.
Take off prop, clean / lube shaft, cursory check.
My boat is stored inside (not heated)
If it was 4 cycle, I would change the crankcase oil and filter.

Tim

20 hp tohatsu 4 cycle...electric start and tilt....... i've watched buncha youtube - draining and refilling lower unit gear oil........haven't seen where yuh drain motor oil and change oil filter

so far my list - spray wd40 or fogging oil in spark plug holes
drain that lower unit and refill with gear oil
figure out how to remove prop and grease it up,check for line under it

not sure about the oil change yet- where exactley it drains yet....

i saw a video where he said there's grease fittings to fill.........idk if i have those....

honestly i thought that was motor oil in the lower unit......now i know thats 2 diff fluids.......and i assume power trim has a different fluid too......

still gathering info need to make sure i think i know what i'm trying to do before i get started

four stroke merc. 20 tilt and trim. I run it until it is out of fuel. then remove carb drain to get that last little bit out. blow out the fuel line from motor to the tank. take plugs out, spray fogging oil in the cylinders and all over power head, hit the starter to spread it out. replace plugs, lower motor to lowest position to get the lift cylinder arm inside cylinder, take TM and battery inside garage, put battery on the battery tender, cover boat, jack the tongue up, more drain plug.

thanks DOC-................ TM would be a bear to remove - the way i have it bolted on and thats all blocked by under bow battery holder
, hard enuff to check water in the batteries ...(snugged in holder TIGHT) anyway it does have a 3 bank smart charger...... i wrapped the computer end up and bagged it........ordered service manual /got it

DO YOU GUYS change the washer when you change the oil ? - need a source for those not sure of size ? ( it looked good and didn't come out sooooo not a problem yet )
i got the oil changed but couldn't get oil filter off ( saw a trick for that on youtube) going to try again ! no worries wasting a qt of oil ain't a biggie........it'll be super clean when i get it right

,also having trouble getting screw loose for gear oil- need a trick for that prolly a better screwdriver !

greased the one niblet i saw- now with service manual i know where more are..........

i'll do better on nx try / easy to feel foolish - but i'd rather LEARN how to do it right myself........... SAVE $$ and know what was done , how fluids looked etc

zzzybil said:
thanks DOC-................ TM would be a bear to remove - the way i have it bolted on and thats all blocked by under bow battery holder
, hard enuff to check water in the batteries ...(snugged in holder TIGHT) anyway it does have a 3 bank smart charger...... i wrapped the computer end up and bagged it........ordered service manual /got it

DO YOU GUYS change the washer when you change the oil ? - need a source for those not sure of size ? ( it looked good and didn't come out sooooo not a problem yet )
i got the oil changed but couldn't get oil filter off ( saw a trick for that on youtube) going to try again ! no worries wasting a qt of oil ain't a biggie........it'll be super clean when i get it right

,also having trouble getting screw loose for gear oil- need a trick for that prolly a better screwdriver !

greased the one niblet i saw- now with service manual i know where more are..........

i'll do better on nx try / easy to feel foolish - but i'd rather LEARN how to do it right myself........... SAVE $$ and know what was done , how fluids looked etc
Sybil
I would not wrap that charger up or bag it, it can get hot and needs ventilation.
Use 80-90 weight marine gear oil for the lower unit, get a big screwdriver (BFS) that fits the screw perfect, file / grind the screwdriver if needed to make it fit, then if needed, use a wrench to help you put some torque on the screw while pushing in hard. Avoid stripping that bugger. Refill from the bottom.
Don't worry about the trolling motor except maybe security wise.
niblet = grease zert
I like your attitude about doing it yourself, then you know it was done right.
We don't dress fish, we filet or clean them. :)
Tim

din't wrap the charger .........i wrapped the top of TM ,guessing that's where the computer for gps is ?...maybe not necessary -salt water tm so i know its sealed( more worried bout freezing electronics ??)
...the boats under a tin roof but exposed to dampness and freezing.......couple more days of work and i'll have a week to give it another go

i like to follow manual instructions - I'M NOT SURE WHERE TO GET THE WASHERS ??? looked like a black rubber washer under oil plug.....it stayed in and still relatively new but book says not to reuse....gotta find a source for 'm . i believe there is one under gear oil screw too thats supposed to be replaced.

there's a pin or cotter thing on the outboard propeller nut - prolly need to find that too.. got to check the prop for fishing line .......... already did that on TM......but no pins on that one