Did we pay for this?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earl60446

Reaction score
I could have told them that. My dog Magnum walked funny when he was drinking beer too.
Tim

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2014/12/29/scientists-show-that-drunk-birds-slur-their-songs/

:LOL2:

I saw a headline on the news the other day that (drum roll please) a survey indicated "marijuana use has increased in the state of Colorado" . #-o :shock:

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

TNtroller said:
:LOL2:

I saw a headline on the news the other day that (drum roll please) a survey indicated "marijuana use has increased in the state of Colorado" . #-o :shock:

I understand most of the surrounding states also have increased use too which of course pisses off the state politicians because they are not getting the tax revenue from it.

Tim

But it's still illegal in those surrounding states. Another example of the intelligence (or lack of) in government these days.

yes we paid for this. I am not for the government giving money away, however I come from the research world. the reason that some of these dumb studies are funded is because if it is not properly documented in a controlled research study then you don't really know what would happen. I do know that it is a PITA to get a grant proposal approved. I think it is somewhere along the lines of 5% of grant proposals submitted to NIH get approved. and they are very lengthy, must have all bases covered, specific scientific goal for the project etc. grants are needed so that students can have the opportunity to learn proper research techniques, how to write proposals, interpret data, write their thesis and submit for publication. some schools do not even give students the option to do any research because of the legalities, liability, cost. and yes some studies are ridiculous. :)

lovedr79 said:
yes we paid for this. I am not for the government giving money away, however I come from the research world. the reason that some of these dumb studies are funded is because if it is not properly documented in a controlled research study then you don't really know what would happen. I do know that it is a PITA to get a grant proposal approved. I think it is somewhere along the lines of 5% of grant proposals submitted to NIH get approved. and they are very lengthy, must have all bases covered, specific scientific goal for the project etc. grants are needed so that students can have the opportunity to learn proper research techniques, how to write proposals, interpret data, write their thesis and submit for publication. some schools do not even give students the option to do any research because of the legalities, liability, cost. and yes some studies are ridiculous. :)
And some studies go way beyond ridiculous. It's one thing to spend our tax dollars for useful research but when they start giving grants so some bored researcher can build a radio controlled ground squirrel to study how rattlesnakes would respond to it, that's just irresponsible use of grants and our tax dollars. That crap needs to change.

I completely agree. and my next comment is not tying to stir the pot. the reason for a RC ground squirrel is actually because of a the animal welfare act, the three R's. replacement (find something other than a live animal, ie the rc ground squirrel), reduction (reduce the number of animals used) and refinement (do everything possible to reduce pain and distress to the animal). so the RC ground squirrel is actually great, you don't have to kill live ones to get a data point and you can also fit it with cameras etc. :) please do not take offense to this. but yes study on the amount of methane produced by a fruit fly is a little ridiculous.

Here's some of the years winners.

https://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/10/16/robosquirrel-moroccan-pottery-the-top-5-most-ridiculous-govt-expenses-found-in-this-years-wastebook/

Latest posts