The good old days

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HANGEYE

Reaction score
I have often thought about this

Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread butter on bread on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pack coolers, but I can't remember getting e. coli

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake or at the beach instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

We all took PE .......... and risked permanent injury with a pair of Dunlop sandshoes instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors that cost as much as a small car. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

We got the cane for doing something wrong at school, they used to call it discipline yet we all grew up to accept the rules and to honour & respect those folk older than us.

We had 60 kids in our class and we all learned to read and write, do maths and spell almost all the words needed to write a grammatically correct letter......., FUNNY THAT!!

We all said prayers in school and sang the national anthem, and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations. We weren't!!

Oh yeah ..... and where was the Benadryl and sterilisation kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played "King of the Hill" on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites and when we got hurt, mum pulled out the 2/6p bottle of Mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our bum spanked.

Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10 day dose of antibiotics and then mum calls the lawyer to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family.

How could we possibly have known that?

We never needed to get into group therapy and/or anger management classes.

We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!

How did we ever survive?

LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA.

AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T, SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED.

I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING!

"Dunlop sandshoes" ?

"mum pulled out the 2/6p bottle of Mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our bum spanked."

So, are you from Australia originally?

Iodine if you complained about a cut. Oh yes.
Ten cents a week at one time for an allowance. Mowing/shoveling/raking leaves/burning trash ect. was expected.
Two pair of new pants for a school year was doin well.
Dad was not afraid to work us. Digging a couple drywells by hand. Digging around sawlog base of a tree to be able to pull it over.
His dad would put me to work with a shovel too digging his trash pit and while he had you might as well dig the next one too. What's with all the shoveling? L.o.l. Cutting wood with a bucksaw. Feed the animals before you get fed. Home late, there sits your plate.
Did get to roam at will when turned loose to get the stink blowed off on occasion.
Shoveled or mowed till old enough to work on farms till sixteen and could get a paper check job.
A shovel would have been more likely handed me if I had held my hand out for money.
Born in early sixties.

Things are starting to sound familiar on here, TOO FAMILIAR!
Born in 47; my how times have changed, and not necessarily for the better!

Lowe 2070 CC said:
"Dunlop sandshoes" ?

"mum pulled out the 2/6p bottle of Mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our bum spanked."

So, are you from Australia originally?

Nope, not an Aussie. Copy/Paste from an E-mail. But it does fit a lot of the "older" members here.

Rode 'round in the backward facing rear seat of me Dads '68 station wagon too, nothing bad happened unless Dad left the rear window down a little.....made for some nice dreams on long trips to grandmas house....<chuckles>....wife says "that would explain a lot about you." Ifn I didn't know any better, I'ld think I was being insulted. :roll:

HANGEYE said:
Oh, I almost forgot the BB Gun wars.
Lets not forget about the homemade slingshots, as powerful as a modern day wrist rocket. And we were tossing 1 gal paint can lids around like Frisbee's before we knew what a Frisbee was. All I remember being put on my cuts was the liquid fire we called Merthiolate. How many times did you lose the key to the roller skates?

HANGEYE said:
gillhunter said:
Hangeye,
You must have been born in 1952 also. :LOL2: Good post.

Yes Gillhunter, 3-10-52.

Oh, I almost forgot the BB Gun wars.
5/22/52 here.. and more BB Gun wars than I can even remember. Imagine that. I've still got both eyes...

Oh not that I need to put this up here since 1952 is already heavily represented but 12/6/52. And I guess I'm another one that never heard of the Dunlop sandshoes. We couldn't wait for summer vacation cause we could shuck the shoes and run barefoot everywhere we went. My feet would be so calloused by the time school started back up that I could walk across piles of broken glass with no cuts deep enough to draw blood and I could walk across that 105° sun baked asphalt and not get the hot-foot. :lol:

They weren't all "good ole days" but I'm pretty sure I'd take what we had then over anything we've had in the last 30 years. Heck we never locked our doors day or night (didn't even close them in the summer since we didn't have AC) and never had anything stolen.

Don't forget playing hide and seek until dark and listening to you name called out by your dad telling you to come home.... 3-12-49

Home made slingshots easily killed squirrels :)

Played sandlot baseball, football and rode bicycles all without a helmet. "Gasp"

Our daughters wouldn't let our grandkids get on a tricycle without a helmet.

Lol...bb gun fights...i thought we were the only ones to do that...
Also used garden hose or flexible pipe for pee shooters...those big red berries sure would sting

All these post sure bring back the memories. born in '59. Child of the 60's and 70's. Riding bikes with helmets, HA! Didn't even know where you would get such a thing. We skateboarded without helmets and pads. No wussies here. Full contact football, no helmets or pads, and we survived our "reckless" childhoods. BBgun, dirt clods, rock ,and bottle rocket fights. What fun we had back then.

I am only 35 and I am so glad I to experience life as a real kid. left at sun up, came in for lunch (sometimes), momma would yell "MICHAEL" and I could hear her from 100 miles away, time for dinner. no helmets, pads, anything on the bike, lucky if I had on shoes. and yes flip flops only during the summer time. didn't have a Nintendo or anything like that.

and above all RIDING IN THE BACK OF A TRUCK! that was a treat!

Latest posts