Boat carpet?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhud11

Reaction score
Where do you guys get your carpet from? Has anyone used the out door carpet from lowes/home depot to put on your boat?

I used the cheap outdoor patio carpet and glue from Lowe's ......
This is just temporary carpeting until my next rebuild.
if you do use it, be advised that you MUST cut a small section of carpet
out with an Xacto knife prior to putting in your screws or else the
strings will wrap around the screw and unravel very quickly and will look awful.
Just cut a section of strings out. Maybe 1/4 x 1/4".
no need to cut the backing - just the strings. Then you will be okay.

( and guess how I know this )

The carpet is supposed to last 3 to 5 years outside. I am in Florida, so it may last 2.
But I am working on plans for a rebuild next year because I really really like this boat !!!
Then, I will invest in the Hydroturf at that time.

and :WELCOME:

Attachments

• carpet threads 001.JPG
    carpet threads 001.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 731
  • carpet threads 002.JPG
    carpet threads 002.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 731
  • carpet threads 004.JPG
    carpet threads 004.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 731
In regards to Barefot Johnny's comments, i have found using a soldering gun and melting a hole worked without unraveling the threads.
I have used the indoor/outdoor carpet from HD on bunks as well as floors in previous builds(sorry no photos) and it had held up fairly well. I had always kept it covered when i wasn't on the water to keep leaves and other debris off, and am not sure if this made a difference or not.
Another option you can try is going to your local flooring outlet and checking their off cuts. I have went to a flooring store recently and was able to get marine grade carpet for less than the price HD was. :D
Oh and :WELCOME:

If you use Menards Status brand or the similar stuff from Fleet Farm, or if you use marine grade carpet, you do not need to pre-cut a hole or melt a hole for the screw, simply pre-drill through the carpet, plywood and aluminum framing and run your screw, the carpet in those pictures is more of a woven carpet, but with the stuff I mentioned above, it's made differently and has NEVER un-raveled for me and I've screwed in thousands and thousands of screws through the stuff.

Latest posts