What have I got??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HANGEYE

Reaction score
I have an old Dentist chair that I want to get out of my garage. I don't know what it is worth or how to find out. I have tried for 2 days to find info on the internet, but I can't find anything but similar pictures. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
HANGEYE
Doug

Attachments

• up-north-2 110.jpg
    up-north-2 110.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,319
  • up-north-2 107.jpg
    up-north-2 107.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,319
Cool looking chair.
I would turn it in to an electric chair for Halloween.

Pretty interesting. Any markings anywhere? On old ones like that it may be cast into it somewhere. Even check underneath the pedestal.

I know the older barber chairs are worth big bucks after they're restored but I've never seen or heard of anyone doing anything with dentist chairs before this.

At first glance I would have thought that was a barbers chair. A dentist chair would have had more attachments and points for adding attachments. From the little research I have done on it, it may be a dentist chair. A company called Ritter has some dentist chairs that had similar style armrest as yours. It is hard to research in depth with not a lot to go on. Are there numbers anywhere on it like forging numbers or casting numbers? Are there any markings anywhere on it? What materials is it made from? Are the controls mechanical or hydraulic?

KMixson said:
At first glance I would have thought that was a barbers chair. A dentist chair would have had more attachments and points for adding attachments. From the little research I have done on it, it may be a dentist chair. A company called Ritter has some dentist chairs that had similar style armrest as yours. It is hard to research in depth with not a lot to go on. Are there numbers anywhere on it like forging numbers or casting numbers? Are there any markings anywhere on it? What materials is it made from? Are the controls mechanical or hydraulic?

I just came in from the garage. After tipping it on it's side and searching top to bottom, I could not find any forging marks, casting marks or stampings. It is made of iron and the foot activated pedal on the bottom (you can see it in the picture) is hydraulic to raise and lower the chair. The head rest is adjusted by a slide bar and secured with a large wing nut. The back rest is adjusted with a rack gear and lever lock.

If more pictures are needed, I can post them on Wednesday.

Thanks for the help so far.
Doug

There is a TV show call "American Restoration" on History channel. I have watched a few times. He seems to know his stuff. You may be able to check his web site for pictures or maybe some contact info.

slick said:
There is a TV show call "American Restoration" on History channel. I have watched a few times. He seems to know his stuff. You may be able to check his web site for pictures or maybe some contact info.

Thanks for the idea. I don't watch much TV but I do remember seeing that show a while back. I'll see what I can find.

Thanks
Doug

slick, I went to the site, but I didn't have any luck. Probably due to my lack of working this computer machine. #-o

And the search continues.

Doug

DocWatson said:
What makes you think it's a dentist's chair rather than a barber's chair ??
At one time the town barber was the town dentist.

tumblr_mwf7vwxkoV1si67dmo1_400.jpg
Here's a similar one.
I tend to agree it looks to be a dentists chair, due to the design of the arm rest supports.
Barbers chairs have a different style support for the arms. These are usually the first and most obvious identifying characteristics.

The lack of "attachments" as was mentioned before is not uncommon on the older ones, as simplicity was the norm, especially for those professionals who couldn't afford the ones with "all the bells and whistles".

....after doing a bit more research, it seems that the "common" style of these chairs - like yours - sell for around $300 or so in GOOD condition.
Yours looks pretty rough, so it you found an interested party, I wouldn't expect an offer of any more than $25-$30 bucks.

However, this is just one guys opinion!

I took pictures of the chair to the local barber and dentist. Neither could give me any good info on the chair (they are both kind of young, in their early 50s) so I am going to go to some local antique shops. If I get any good info, I'll post it here. This is turning into an interesting hunt, and when all is said and done I'm going to sell it. It is taking up valuable real estate in my garage.

Thanks to all for your input.

Doug

Latest posts