Membership Drive

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazy idea, but how about leaflets dropped from C-130s from 2,000 ft? :lol: :wink: Or, how about flyers placed under wiper blades on trucks at local boat ramps that have aluminum boats? A simple flyer could be done up at your discretion, and then members could print out several before going down to their favorite watering hole. Maybe even offer a small "token" of appreciation to new members who sign up with special "codes" that was printed on the flyers to notify you that the new member was reached via said flyers. Oh, just a thought, mind you.

Not trying to be critical, just my observations and suggestions -

Beef up the homepage. The forum is great but I think if you could really start posting articles on actual boats, boat mods and such it would really help. I'm sure there are thousands of products that jon boat and other aluminum boat fishermen would be interested in. There are plenty of tackle sites with some form of reviews and forums. But if you really look, not a ton of places just for these kinds of boats.

Your niche is the tin boat right?

I'm new to boating, and the how-to articles, even for simple things like installing a depth finder, would rock. I dunno, but I bet that's kind of what people expect based on the site's name.

And maybe you pull from your forum first for material. Who do you know that's great with working on boats? I know dampeoples can do some serious electrical work. That Ian dude who posted his jon boat must know some killer stuff too, that boat was sweet. I'd ask these people to contribute a quick how-to article.

Maybe ask some boat manufacturers to contribute articles about their products. Every company likes publicity, I bet half of them might have bylined articles they've written, they all probably have marketing directors who would take the time to write a 1-pager.

I know you can't go out there and review $10,000 boats every weekend, but you could definitely get people to contribute. If people have a lot to look at on the homepage, they'll have a lot more to talk about here... more will join.

Maybe find some key fishermen who use these boats and ask them to contribute an article once and a while. Or interview them. How about that Fish Chris guy? He uses a 12' jon to catch 15 pound bass in Cali, and that's all he uses. Why? What mods did he need? That would be an awesome interview I bet. https://www.trophybassonly.com/index.htm

I'd also reach out to other sites and make sure you're getting good search engine results. Is the home page keyworded so that people can find the site easily?

https://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=aluminum+boats&btnG=Google+Search

Where are we listed? I went through a few pages and didn't see us. There are techniques for getting better results.

I'd link up to other sites. Maybe link to craigslists for used boats. Maybe link to all types of boats for sale type pages. You gotta find a way for people to need to come to this site before they go out and buy an aluminum boat, just like I go to TT before I buy a new reel.

You want other sites to link to you. You want people dropping your link in forums and blogs "read this article over at TB before you buy a used boat dude".

Sorry I got a rambling problem sometimes, I'll shut the hell up. But seriously if there's anyway I can help I'd be glad to. I hope the site really takes off and I think it is growing quicker than you realize.

G3 Bassman said:
Crazy idea, but how about leaflets dropped from C-130s from 2,000 ft? :lol: :wink: Or, how about flyers placed under wiper blades on trucks at local boat ramps that have aluminum boats? A simple flyer could be done up at your discretion, and then members could print out several before going down to their favorite watering hole. Maybe even offer a small "token" of appreciation to new members who sign up with special "codes" that was printed on the flyers to notify you that the new member was reached via said flyers. Oh, just a thought, mind you.

I like the promo code idea

What do you think Jimmy?

Zman said:
Not trying to be critical, just my observations and suggestions -

Beef up the homepage. The forum is great but I think if you could really start posting articles on actual boats, boat mods and such it would really help. I'm sure there are thousands of products that jon boat and other aluminum boat fishermen would be interested in. There are plenty of tackle sites with some form of reviews and forums. But if you really look, not a ton of places just for these kinds of boats.

Your niche is the tin boat right?

I'm new to boating, and the how-to articles, even for simple things like installing a depth finder, would rock. I dunno, but I bet that's kind of what people expect based on the site's name.

And maybe you pull from your forum first for material. Who do you know that's great with working on boats? I know dampeoples can do some serious electrical work. That Ian dude who posted his jon boat must know some killer stuff too, that boat was sweet. I'd ask these people to contribute a quick how-to article.

Maybe ask some boat manufacturers to contribute articles about their products. Every company likes publicity, I bet half of them might have bylined articles they've written, they all probably have marketing directors who would take the time to write a 1-pager.

I know you can't go out there and review $10,000 boats every weekend, but you could definitely get people to contribute. If people have a lot to look at on the homepage, they'll have a lot more to talk about here... more will join.

Maybe find some key fishermen who use these boats and ask them to contribute an article once and a while. Or interview them. How about that Fish Chris guy? He uses a 12' jon to catch 15 pound bass in Cali, and that's all he uses. Why? What mods did he need? That would be an awesome interview I bet. https://www.trophybassonly.com/index.htm

I'd also reach out to other sites and make sure you're getting good search engine results. Is the home page keyworded so that people can find the site easily?

https://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=aluminum+boats&btnG=Google+Search

Where are we listed? I went through a few pages and didn't see us. There are techniques for getting better results.

I'd link up to other sites. Maybe link to craigslists for used boats. Maybe link to all types of boats for sale type pages. You gotta find a way for people to need to come to this site before they go out and buy an aluminum boat, just like I go to TT before I buy a new reel.

You want other sites to link to you. You want people dropping your link in forums and blogs "read this article over at TB before you buy a used boat dude".

Sorry I got a rambling problem sometimes, I'll shut the hell up. But seriously if there's anyway I can help I'd be glad to. I hope the site really takes off and I think it is growing quicker than you realize.

Thanks man! You gave me some good ideas. I have zero web page making skills, but I have someone working on one, lets see how it comes out. If you do a search on anything I have written about on the home page, we do come up.

You should put a sheet in the grocery store or little corner store like the babysitters do. You know, describe the site up top and then have all those little pieces cut off at the bottom so people can tear them off. I've taken a few slips off of those things. Most stores have a spot to hang "community" things there. Know what I mean?

I notice on the main page, you still have it more fishing oriented. That is all fine and dandy, and I like to read it, but keep in mind, this is an aluminum boats site. The home page needs to have all the tin boats info. Maybe motor reviews etc. I bet if you cited it correctly, you could obtain the reviews that BWB mag. has. You could do trolling motor reviews, and sonar reviews etc. You also need more how to articles. You need enough of an article to get someone to join if they see it. But not to much that it bores someone to death. I would be willing to do a real in depth link, with pictures, of my bass boat restoration when we get done. For a while, I thought I saw a few more boating topics back on the main page, but then, we had more articles about members fishing.

bassboy1 said:
I notice on the main page, you still have it more fishing oriented. That is all fine and dandy, and I like to read it, but keep in mind, this is an aluminum boats site. The home page needs to have all the tin boats info. Maybe motor reviews etc. I bet if you cited it correctly, you could obtain the reviews that BWB mag. has. You could do trolling motor reviews, and sonar reviews etc. You also need more how to articles. You need enough of an article to get someone to join if they see it. But not to much that it bores someone to death. I would be willing to do a real in depth link, with pictures, of my bass boat restoration when we get done. For a while, I thought I saw a few more boating topics back on the main page, but then, we had more articles about members fishing.

I agree 100 percent, But getting the Aluminum boat manufactures to give my site info On there new boats is getting me nowhere. They wont send me stuff to test I dont think, and short of going to the local Marina and snapping pics of the new model boats, there is nothing I can do.The site is too new and unproven. I would love to have members do there own how to articles and I would for sure publish them on the forum. If any member wants to become a contributing editor for anything boat related I would gladly help (proof reading, page layout and stuff like that). If anyone does anything to there boat and snap some pics and want to write about it, that would be awesome. I plan to document my Tune-up) but that wont be until the end of the year.

Yeah, we could do that. I know that with the alumacraft we are restoring, we will be mounting trolling motors, fish finders, livewells, and such.

I have, and will be doing a lot of stuff regarding tin boats in the future, so how about making us a list of some of the more important articles you would like to add. Then, the members can start making little how to articles. Don't forget parts, such as the outboard, trailer, and possibly even tow vehicle. Make us a list, and we can go from there.

I agree with Fishin NJ, word of mouth has my vote besides, here in New Jersey if you drop leaflets be prepaired to drop a few bucks for littering :lol: Stickers rule!!

Fishin NJ said:
How about some gear? I belong to another site that has clothing, Long & Short sleeve T-shirts, Sweat Shirts, Hats. They also have one of the white oval stickers made up they send out free to the members with the sites info. They also have these in local tackle shops, word of mouth is by far the best advertising but getting the name out also helps allot. If you like you can pm me and i will provide you a link to the items i talked about. It is nice to actually get to join a site that is just starting to grow & has a family feel to it.

PM me your address, I will send you a bunch of stickers :D I am making more. Any suggestions to change it up a bit from what it says now? I think its kind of corny. Click below to see current one:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453

What about changing the font to what is used on the homepage banner? As suggested above, possibly change the size of the sticker to a max height of 3", so that it will fit on trailer frames, maybe shorten the length also. Black background with white or yellow lettering so that it will stand-out and be real readable. It's a little fuzzy around the edges, but here a sample w/yellow lettering. I changed the statement below "Tinboats.com" to read "The original...
[/img]

Attachments

• TINBOATS.COM LOGO.gif
    TINBOATS.COM LOGO.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 467

Latest posts