Barge/Cabin Build on The Sabine River, East Texas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasLoneStar56

Reaction score
I am picking up this thread where an old one left off. The old thread was the airboat ride on the Sabine. I have had numerous requests for an update on the barge/cabin build, so here goes.

These three guys have worked diligently on this project since last August. I am posting a few pics, as there have been many, many taken through this build. As of today, it is 99% complete! So very proud of these boys. =D>

Enjoy!

Location: The Sabine River, between Hawkins, Tx and Big Sandy, TX.
Size: 16'W x 30' L
Structure: 2 aluminum pontoons; plastic barrels, angel iron
Flooring: decking & sub-floor 3/4" plywood painted with specially formulated non-skid paint
Building: special ordered carport made out of aluminum
Framing: aluminum legs; 2"x4" pine studs on 16"oc
Inside: R19 insulation; sheathing OSB painted; fire proof cement board behind stove; old barn tin on ceiling; custom cut to fit cedar trim
Front Outside Wall: cement board, painted; custom cut to fit cedar trim
Trusses: aluminum with 2"x4" pine stud nailers
Headers: windows - 2"x6" pine; door - 2"x12" pine
Custom built bunkbeds; cabinets; fish cleaning station; etc....
3 windows; 1 A/C window unit
Special potty for the wives, mothers and their little girls. :wink:

I will post more pics when they finish the counter tops with stainless. I've been there many times throughout this build and helped as I could along the way. I think they have done an awesome job. It will be a fun, family place that their children will remember for years to come, and bring their children as well.

I know I have probably left something out, so if you have any questions/comments, please feel free to post.

Pics will not load. #-o I will try again later.........

Have tried again this Saturday morning to load pics to no avail..... sorry.
I'm not a quitter, so I will try again later. (could be my internet service having trouble. :?: )

Chapter 2:
Floating it down river to her permanent home.

Notice the Chapter 1 pics; some with jeans, boots & shirts. Notice in these pics; barefooted, no shirts and jeans cut off with a pocket knife. :LOL2: August in Texas is Hot, and it gets hot in a hurry.

The cable is heavy duty steel with turn buckles used on the frame. Old window weights were used on the land side so as to allow for fluctuation of the water level.

The Sabine River can fluctuate as much as 15' in a 24 hour period of time during a heaving down pour.

SAM_1201 edited.JPGSAM_1202 edited.JPGSAM_1208.JPGSAM_1210.JPG

What a day! Temp by noon was 97*.

A carefully coordinated effort to catch the river up enough to float it; all three owners were in from jobs; good friends; a enough cold beer to make sure the good friends did not get thirsty. =D> =D> =D>

The two parents went along for support, and, being the beer tender, photographer, arm chair boss, and just plain wanted to be a part of it. :LOL2:

Next Chapter will show the hauling of materials/supplies and how they framed it.

Stay tuned!
SAM_1216.JPGSAM_1217.JPG

huntinfool said:
Awesome, I'm ready to test her out!!!

It was a lot of fun that hot August day. We were so very blessed to get to be a part of it all. [-o<

I will post more pics later, showing the whole build, a few pics at a time.

In the mean time, this is what's it's all about.......

Feed them fish for a day, or teach them how to fish for a life time.

IMG_20141123_160751.jpgIMG_20141123_160824.jpg

That's great stuff!!

I'm jealous of the whole experience.

I hunted for a week off a buddy's similar one in the Atchafalaya in Louisiana. One of the best duck hunts I've ever been on. Ever since I've wished our state would allow us to do that. We can't even have a little seasonal anchored floating blind without jumping thru a bunch of hoops.

huntinfool said:
TexasLoneStar56 said:
huntinfool said:
Yep looks like a great project and a fun time by all.

Indeed! If you ever get up this way, give us a holler. Katy to Tyler.....about 4 hours. :)
Not the way I drive
[emoji13] [emoji4]

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:
Just watch out for Uncle Popo in and around Lufkin. (rut-row) Just doing his job......warning only. I saw the sign ahead, "70 mph", however, I was still in the "55 mph" zone. oops! Was in a hurry to get on down to Galveston and have some fun in the sun. My bad :oops: ......he was just doing his job.

Yep. I got no problems with that. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'll take my licks and move on with a smile.
I do hate those speed zones though. Especially towing a boat.

duckfish said:
That's great stuff!!

I'm jealous of the whole experience.

I hunted for a week off a buddy's similar one in the Atchafalaya in Louisiana. One of the best duck hunts I've ever been on. Ever since I've wished our state would allow us to do that. We can't even have a little seasonal anchored floating blind without jumping thru a bunch of hoops.

Louisiana is a beautiful state. We are only 90 miles to the state line, and not very much further on south to Phil Robertons Duck Commander. :)

Our Game Wardens here keep a close eye on The Sabine. Shooting from a boat can land you in a heep of trouble. (well, except snakes) They will have some church with you! They know us from the lake we live on, and they are our friends. We want to keep it that way! 8) They know we all carry weapons on the river, legal weapons, and are lawful. The barge is a different story. It's tied off and does not have a motor. I can't quote the actual laws on that, but our boys can. They better know!

Latest posts