Its almost Garden time

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Love when its time to plant the summer garden. \:D/

My "main" garden consists of an area of 1.5 feet by 50 feet that gets sun for 80% of the day. This year I'm digging out all the soil and putting in new, fresh, nutrient rich soil.

Cukes, Tomatoes, Zucchinis, Peppers, are on deck. Also pots of spices and "one offs" like ghost peppers.

Anyone else planning a garden this year?

Put in a "square foot garden" this year. 4' x 4' divided into 16 1'x1' squares. Currently have 2 squares of peas, 3 squares of spinach, 4 squares of onions, 2 squares of carrots and 3 squares of lettuce. Everything but a square of carrots and a square of lettuce have germinated and is growing. Might replant if they don't show signs of life soon. Will be planting 2 squares of potatoes this weekend to fill up all my squares. Once my cool season plants are done I'll replace with my warm season plants like tomatoes, beans, etc. I used to do the standard row garden, but it just took up too much room and was a lot of work. Anxious to see how this space saving method will work.

IMG_20150330_180627_zpslmm82vse.jpg

There is a horse ranch across the road from me. so all winter, I collect horse manure in 50# bags
and let it cure for a few months before tilling up my wife's garden.
She is from China. Only been here three years. She has never messed with a garden - ever.
So last year, I made her a 30'x50' garden with sprinklers and that is her haven. LOL she is so involved in it.
Everything all layed out just so - will not let me plant ANYTHING !!!
So, when she is at work, I go out and plant MY little lines of okra, field peas, cherry tomatoes,
sweet bell peppers, etc. and now they are starting to come up !!
Not to mention the Georgia Giant watermelons all over the place !!
LOL LOL LOL gonna be fun fun fun in a week or so when MY stuff starts coming up !!!

Attachments

• field peas & garden 005.JPG
    field peas & garden 005.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 2,058
Barefoot_Johnny said:
There is a horse ranch across the road from me. so all winter, I collect horse manure in 50# bags
and let it cure for a few months before tilling up my wife's garden.
She is from China. Only been here three years. She has never messed with a garden - ever.
So last year, I made her a 30'x50' garden with sprinklers and that is her haven. LOL she is so involved in it.
Everything all layed out just so - will not let me plant ANYTHING !!!
So, when she is at work, I go out and plant MY little lines of okra, field peas, cherry tomatoes,
sweet bell peppers, etc. and now they are starting to come up !!
Not to mention the Georgia Giant watermelons all over the place !!
LOL LOL LOL gonna be fun fun fun in a week or so when MY stuff starts coming up !!!
BF Johnny;

Boy, are YOU in trouble!
:LOL22: :LOL22: :LOL22:

Were a month behind...raked my lawn two days ago, then woke up to 4"s of white stuff...
Worse yet there is still over a foot of ice on most lakes, I've never seen that much ice this late.

My snow peas were in the ground 4 weeks ago, my cucumbers came up 3 days ago, radishes been up a week, my tomato plants (2 varieties) went in the ground two weeks ago. 4 of them have put on a bloom since then. :lol: This is the first time I've ever gotten my garden to this stage this early. :mrgreen: Now I have to hope we don't get some crazy late frost.

Hey Johnny, you know if she's never messed with a garden, she'll probably figure that if anything she didn't plant pokes it's head up, she'll rip it out root and stem as a weed. :lol:

Muzikman - Michael - - - -

I think my worst fears have just come to light this afternoon.
Wife is out in the garden, yelling a bunch of stuff in Chinese.
(I know it can't be good just from the sound of her voice) LOL

and her garden hoe is going CHOP CHOP CHOP CHOP in a frantic manner.

I think I've been found out LOL

Attachments

• farm girl 001.JPG
    farm girl 001.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 2,034
i have spinach, collards, kale, peas and potatoes in the ground. i planted a bunch of seeds yesterday in the house for planting in the beginning of may. planted tomatoes, cukes, okra, zucchini, squash, sunflowers

I've got peas, radishes, rhubarb, and kohlrabi up already. Will be putting in tomatoes, bell peppers, jalepenos, zucchini, squash, and maybe asparagus in our 4 new raised beds along with zinnias. The raised beds are new since we tore up most of our yard and started over. Did away with the strawberry patch and a lot of the old growth unknown shrubs. Can't wait to actually have a usable garden for a change.

Have a 4' X 8' raised bed for Asparagus. 25 or so plants. They are just starting to poke their heads up out of the ground.....

Attachments

• asp1.jpg
    asp1.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 2,003
  • asp2.jpg
    asp2.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 2,003
Just planted some asparagus this past week. Never grown it before. A friends has some thats on it's 2nd or 3rd year and it's about 2 ft tall. I know they say you have to wait 3 years to get anything from them but I love steamed fresh asparagus so it's worth the wait if it produces. Keystone, I've never grown it before but the instructions that came with the "roots" show a pic of a bulb with some planting instructions that said space 2" apart. Is this right or did they have the wrong instructions with them?

2" apart is way to close together. Plant them 6" deep (8" if soil is sandy) and 1'-2' apart. They will spread out as they mature. They prefer full sun. You can start to harvest when the stalks get about the size of a pencil. Normally the 3rd year. Once they are established you should get an easy 25 years from them if not longer. When you pick them cut them off at the base right at the soil level. 8"-10" tall is what you will want for eating. After that they get a bit on the stringy or woody side.

I only got one package as a test. They've been in the ground about a week now and they are very close to each other. The instructions also said to plant them 2" deep, which i did. Should I try to dig these back up and replant or just write them off as a loss? When you say plant them 6" deep, I'm guessing you mean the crown should be at 6"?

We raise about three and a half acres of organic produce each year. We are currently running behind because of so much rain. What has come up so far is looking good.

Well, after the almost 3" of rain we got Monday night, it was a muddy slippery mess, but I got it done. :lol: They have now been replanted about 14" apart and the crowns are approx 7" below grade. The roots were a lot softer and easier to work with after soaking in all that mud and water. haha

Latest posts