I'm Back!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poolie

Reaction score
Hey all,

Back in late 2010 I went for a long overdue physical and confirmed a bunch of stuff I had been ignoring. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, overweight, blah, blah blah... 46 and in poor health.

2011 started a four year transformation of myself. Parked the boat, put the rods in the corner and climbed on a bicycle and started pedaling, and pedaling... and pedaling a little more. For the last four year I've done nothing but ride my bike every chance I get. I'm in the best shape of my life, but during this whole journey I've never stopped thinking about the day that I could get back to fishing... well that time has come. Time to put some fishing time back into my life.

I unearthed the tinboat yesterday and it's in surprisingly good shape. a leak in cover at the rear of the boat caused a little damage to the decking and carpet... and a colony of large black ants took up residency back there, but a couple weekends and I'll have it back in service.

I have a BS in Exercise Physiology and my career is a personal trainer. I freaking LOVE how I got on a forum for boats and came across this story. Keep up the good work man, you're an inspiration!

Thanks guys,

It was a very unplanned fork in the road, but it's amazing what a couple chest pains will do to motivate you. If you had told me 5 years ago that I would own a carbon fiber bicycle that cost as much a car and I would own more Lycra cycling clothes (sometimes called spandex) than any straight, middle aged guy should ever admit having.... I would have probably killed over dead laughing, but it happened.

I guess I was lucky and found an exercise that I really enjoyed doing. It's amazing how many calories you burn on a bike. I occasionally go out on a Saturday and ride a 100 miles and burn through 3500+ calories.... that's one pound folks in 5 1/2 hours. I see that y'all are still doing the biggest loser thread. I highly encourage anyone needing/wanting to lose some weight to considered to start riding a bike. We all had one as a kid. It's as much fun now as it was then.

I have thought about creating a stationary bicycle with a generator on it. Then plug my computer and TV into it. To see anything on the computer or TV you have to pedal. If you want to see something that that uses more computer or TV resources you have to pedal faster. Will it work?

In theory you could do that. At home I have my spare bike on a stationary trainer for winter and when it's raining. I have the bike hooked up to my PC using something called ANT+ (similar to Bluetooth) and a program on the PC that can calculate how much wattage I'm generating. I use that information for training purposes.

I can generate 220 watts for an extended amount of time (hours) and 300 or 400+ watts are doable for short bursts. So in theory you can generate enough power to run something. Not sure how much power is necessary to run the TV and or computer but it might be enough.

Congrats, poolie.
I know how you feel. I started a healthier life style almost 5 years ago.
I'm almost 52, and in the best shape of my adult life. Wish I would have done it sooner.

Keep up the good work.

jasper

Welcome back - Congrats on the health mod :mrgreen:

Latest posts