Video of my home Shad tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[youtube]U8M0EtITKM0&feature[/youtube]

Looks great. Need one of those in the garage.

Abraham said:
[youtube]U8M0EtITKM0&feature[/youtube]

Looks great. Need one of those in the garage.
Abraham,
I keep mine in the back corner of the garage to keep it cool. the only other place is the basement but it's not as accessible.

I've never tried to keep shad but I would think you would get plenty of aeration just from the spray bar. I keep minnows at home mostly because there's no bait shops close by and it saves a lot of gas/time running back and forth to the bait shop. Some of my friends are seeing the advantages of this and are now setting themselves up with a tank. Looks like you've got a real nice setup.

JMichael said:
I've never tried to keep shad but I would think you would get plenty of aeration just from the spray bar. I keep minnows at home mostly because there's no bait shops close by and it saves a lot of gas/time running back and forth to the bait shop. Some of my friends are seeing the advantages of this and are now setting themselves up with a tank. Looks like you've got a real nice setup.
JMixhael,
Thanks! It okra great for Shad and herring. Both of those are really hard to keep alive at times and his set up seems to work well.i too use it for a holding tank to keep from having to go to a bait store at times. At the end of the day I throw baits back in it as well to reuse if I have not hooked them . The tank I just put in my boat keeps Shad and herring alive and healthy all day no problem. With a Shad costing $4.00 each it adds up fast! The tank paid for itself the first two weeks.

Holy crap!!! $4 for a shad?? I'm in the wrong business. :lol: When the shad are running in the spring, you can catch a dozen almost every time with a good cast net toss.

JMichael said:
Holy crap!!! $4 for a shad?? I'm in the wrong business. :lol: When the shad are running in the spring, you can catch a dozen almost every time with a good cast net toss.
Yes,
They are like gold when you can't get them... Not threads "big" Gizzards are the bait for stripers late winter through spring. Then it's a herring bite here on Lake Lanier starting May though the fall. Trout is also another bait that works well in the winter months. There is no Shad in any bait shops around here. If they get some they are bought up in a couple hours right now!

Do you use the shad for cut bait or are you using whole small shad? Most of the guys around here want the small ones for flathead catfish bait, but if all they can get are the large, they make cut bait and hope for the best.

JMichael said:
Do you use the shad for cut bait or are you using whole small shad? Most of the guys around here want the small ones for flathead catfish bait, but if all they can get are the large, they make cut bait and hope for the best.
The bigger the better. The whip ole bait as lively and fresh as possible. Cut bait works well in the rivers though! I like weeding out the smaller fish by using bigger baits. If a striper hits a 2lb Shad and eats it in one gulp chances are it's a good one! Smaller fish will chase and smack at them but won't usually eat ones that big. Then again I have caught big fish on small herring as well... Usually in the spring bigger baits in the rivers mean bigger fish right now though!

are you feeding your shad ??
I have been keeping shiners for the past few months and feed them
Cichlid Pellets (slow sinking - mini) from PetSmart.
a 1/4 teaspoon of mini pellets every other day is all they need.
I gave up on the minnows. Seems like they turn cannibal after a couple of weeks
and start eating each others fins..... not a pretty sight.
The shiners are doing quite well !!!

Attachments

• fish food.jpg
    fish food.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 815
I've never fed my minnows although I have looked in to feeding. I asked a few bait shop owners and they say they don't attempt to feed them as it only makes the water dirty faster most of the time.

You know I lived in Marietta for 7 years and the only times I went to lake Lanier was to take my two labs up for swims and exercise. They loved to retrieve anything you threw out in that lake. I had a wife instead of a boat back then so I didn't get to do any fishing during that time. :cry:

JMichael said:
I've never fed my minnows although I have looked in to feeding. I asked a few bait shop owners and they say they don't attempt to feed them as it only makes the water dirty faster most of the time.

You know I lived in Marietta for 7 years and the only times I went to lake Lanier was to take my two labs up for swims and exercise. They loved to retrieve anything you threw out in that lake. I had a wife instead of a boat back then so I didn't get to do any fishing during that time. :cry:

I only feed them if they will be in there over a week. Just use koi fish flakes.
I traded my wife in on a boat a long time ago.... :D

Latest posts