Caught a rod & reel.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccm

Reaction score
Went bass fishing with my dad Saturday afternoon. At our first spot I noticed a large slip float bobbing up & down. I thought this was strange since there were no lines out on any of the piers nearby so I decided to snag it & pull in along with any long pieces of mono attached. To my surprise at the end of about 20yds of mono there was a new ( still plastic on the cork ) Berkley Bionix crank bait rod along with a like new Abu Garcia red 5000 ( made in Sweden ) reel. I believe this had to be lost sometime earlier that day or the day before because it still had shad scales stuck to it from whomever was using it for catfish & had it pulled into the lake. Back at the house I took the reel completely apart cleaned, dried, re oiled, & re greased. It's in excellent shape & would look brand new except for a couple of small scratches on the bottom of the left side plate. I spooled it with new 20lb big game & it casts like a dream ( actually better than I thought for a bushing reel ). Next I pulled the plastic off of the cork grips on the rod & cleaned off the shad scales ( a real PITA to get off but hey it's free so I cant really complain ). The real was never meant to go on the rod as it was lose with the handle tightened all the way down :( but I just flip flopped it with another rod & reel I had. It seems I had all the luck as I caught our only two bass our intended species on a spinnerbait while my dad ended up catching 4 catfish on artificials 2 on crankbaits & 2 more on spinnerbaits. Overall a great day on the water. :mrgreen: tight lines yall

Nice Find !!

that happens quite frequently in the Florida surf...... big fish snatches the rod right out of the
holder and is gone. At some point down the road, someone else drags it back in. LOL but not as fresh
as the one you got !!!
Good way to rotate your gear LOL

Barefoot_Johnny said:
that happens quite frequently in the Florida surf...... big fish snatches the rod right out of the
holder and is gone.

That is why I tie my rod and reels to the dock or boat when I am fishing for big fish. I also use the bait clicker and circle hooks to give me some reaction time.

LOL Jim - sometimes you can actually SPOT the ones that have never lost a
rod overboard or out of rod holder - OR, balancing a rod on the rail !! LOL LOL

just wait, after he scampers down those rocks once or twice, I bet he comes up
with a better way to fish the rocks !! That right there is hysterical.

I caught an AB 5501 on a Berkley a few years back. Looked to nearly new. few minutes later, same spot,I also hooked a transom mount trolling motor with battery still attached to it. 1/4 oz jig with 8lb test. Just couldn't quite get it to the boat when the line broke. Another boat found a tackle box with nothing in it as if it had been tossed from the boat. Figured someone got real mad and started tossing stuff in a fit. :?:

Latest posts