Kids and their Tackleboxes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I remember my first tackle box. I was 8 years old and it was a brown 3-tray little box. I was so proud of this box, I kept it in my bedroom. I would constantly look in it, organize, reorganize, take everything out, clean it and put it back. I Think I still have it somewhere.

Anyway my son is 6 years old and he is starting to show "real" interest in fishing. So I am thinking about picking him up something small like that....to see if he can be a little responsible and maybe show me the same happiness and pride I had with my own little box.

This is what it looked like all brown though. :(

43300.jpg

I had one like that too! :) And yes, I used to do the same thing you mentioned...Clean it out, re-orginize it, do "inventory", rob my dad's tackle box so I could fill mine up :lol:.

My first Tacle Box only had one tray :lol:

I had a few Jitter Bugs, Hula Poppers, Hooks & Bobbers :lol:

...Anyway my son is 6 years old and he is starting to show "real" interest in fishing. So I am thinking about picking him up something small like that....to see if he can be a little responsible and maybe show me the same happiness and pride I had with my own little box.

Great idea, Jim, and I'm sure he'll treasure it! 8)

Didn't have my first tacklebox until 2004.....I'm a late bloomer, lol :)

I had the same one, came from a yard sale with some lures in it. I really wasn't into fishing when I was young though. Eventually it got painted black and was used for electronic connectors & adapters instead. I do still have it and it got put back to fishing tackle duty, but only for storage purposes.

Matt

bcritch said:
My first Tacle Box only had one tray :lol:

I had a few Jitter Bugs, Hula Poppers, Hooks & Bobbers :lol:

Same here!

Mine was yellow. I still have it and store archery equipment in it.

Wow.. it just hit me. That thing and what few original lures I have left are thirty some years old... :shock:

I'm kinda like WW on this deal.I don't think I had my own box till about 97 or so.
Now I have too many sitting around coolecting dust!
I currently use a Shimano bag that I like pretty well.

Attachments

• tackle_2007_392340577.jpg
    tackle_2007_392340577.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 601
Sometimes the ones at the sides are a little snug, but I changed a couple of the trays from the originals Shimano logoed trays (due to the little snap latches breaking) to the Plano Pro-Latch type (hinged flip-up latches) from Walmart. I like them a lot better, and they seem to be sturdier. The trays hold what I need as far as hooks and other terminal tackle, and some assortwed hardbaits. I carry all of my plastics in about 5 worm binders (Quantum logoed ones) I got at Walmart for a touch over $5 each, amd may have to add another one. I've looked at bigger bags and then quickly decide I don't need them.

heres mine ..lol
OPUtilityBox_1204729027_thumb.jpg

jk,,, this my sons 1st fishing tackle , hes 8yrs old,, of course he wants everything daddy has,, he even wants his own jon boat,, he says he needs more room for himself,,lol!!!

kentuckybassman said:
Man this is CRAZY!!

I swear I just bought one of those (Quantum binders) TODAY!!!!! Oh well,I guess most fisherman think alike anyway don't they?? :lol:

Does the binder look like this?
bags.JPG

kemical said:
...hes 8yrs old,, of course he wants everything daddy has,, he even wants his own jon boat,, he says he needs more room for himself,,lol!!!

That's cool :)

My first one was a metal one about 12" wide x 6" deep and 8" tall with one tray attached to the lid. It had a latch you could put a pad lock on and I should have because when I tied it to the frame of my bike my leg hit the latch, causing the box to swing open and dump all the contents along the road. Then I graduated to the Plano mini pocket-packs. Had 2 of them and you could tie a string to them and wear it around your neck. Still use them for ice and trout fishing. Now I use 2 of those bags that Shakespeare was giving away when you bought an Ugly Stik combo, each with 5 filled 3700 boxes.

My first box was a plano 360 which couldn't hold verry much I was happy to get brown and tan plano 3 tray fold out like that, and I used it for years. I think it would make for a good first box

Mine is a 2 tray that I got some years ago. Probably around 10 years now. I'm pretty sure my mom gave it to me. I still do organize and reorganize :D Don't got much for tackle but I have a few. Some that I got from my grandfathers when they passed. :)

I too had one of the tan/dark green 3 tray lift out boxes. (notice a trend here)

Inherited it from Grampa. Thought I had died and gone to heaven when I saw all the stuff I got. But, most of the rods were WORN OUT glass casting rods with Zebco 404s on them. Rods went away soon after. The tackle was just a bunch of odd pieces that just dead. I think I have only used 3 pieces of tackle he had - a rebel jointed minnow, and the 2 Mepps spinners he had. The rest was odd stuff that had holes melted in it rusty hooks etc.

I soon graduated to a Flambeu (spelled wrong I know) tackle box that had 3 trays that are 360 size, and had a large top space. I did mostly fishing with live bait, so all my powerbait jars, floats etc would fit up top, and the lures that I never used would fit in the trays.

Finally, after starting to get boats, and become more of a true bass fisherman, I got a Bill Dance bag on sale from BPS that holds 6 360 trays. That is the best deal, and the soft bag is much better suited for boats. I also have sized the tackle storage hatch in the Yazoo to hold 360 trays.

On a good note, I did make 10 bucks at a yard sale with the 3 working Zebco 404s. Still have that first tackle box holding model building stuff, but I no longer build models, so it is just wasted space. Now, y'all might think I am crazy for getting rid of Grampa's stuff, but I still have, and will always keep the mounted largemouth he had. The rest would just take up valuable storage space with little gain, but that fish is what hangs around for good (pun intended)

Latest posts