Beer crisis

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I am having a beer crisis. At a time when the craft-brewers are multiplying like crazy, I have developed an intolerance for beer. I am being treated for acid reflux but it has never affected drinking beer - until recently. I love bitter, hoppy beers and locally we have several brewers who excel at making them. Lately I can't drink even half a bottle before the heartburn sets in. Pouring a beer down the drain is enough to bring a tear to the eye. I even tried a unoffensive Pilsner but no luck. I'm trying not to panic but, well, it's hard. Hopefully it's a temporary affliction. If it isn't then I'll have to rethink the meaning of life - again...

Back in the day my wife and I could drink with the best of them. Then as we got older, same thing happens. About all I can handle now is hard liquor and mixed drinks. To be honest, I don't even really miss beer that much, except for those amazing stouts.

personally, I find a glass of cold sweet tea or 100% Florida Orange Juice more refreshing than alcoholic beverages.
I was so far gone on beer that I actually prayed to God to take away the "desire" to drink.
It took awhile, after years of impulsively hoarding a complete REFRIGERATOR FULL of beer in my shop 24/7,
I can now walk down the beer isle at the store and not even flinch LOL LOL .....
I have been taking Nexium 40mg daily for a few years for the acid reflex that helps a lot.
I really hope you can make it through the "DTs" without any serious complications.

I don't actually drink much, generally one in the afternoon, two if there is a burger and friends involved, never more. I'm a lightweight but do love the bitter craft beers. I'll either get over it or not. As those of you from the upper mid-west know (it's a polka side-effect) in heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here...

I'm a one and done kinda guy, unless like you say there's friends and burgers or pizza involved then I'll go for a second, but I sure do enjoy that one.

I used to brew and developed similar symptoms. For me it was an excess of yeast in my gut that caused gas problems.

You might google that and look at taking acidophilus to counter as well as drinking only pasteurized beer for a while.

Ymmv

See your doctor and ask about industrial strength acid reflux medicine. He or she may want to send you for an endoscopy.

I was having severe heartburn from about everything. Sometimes so bad it would mimic chest pain like a heart attack. After an endoscopy (you go to sleep and they shove a camera down your throat) I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. Went through a few prescriptions and endless over the counter before. Now I am on something called Dexilant once a day and unless I really overdo it, no heartburn.

Oh, and about hoppy beer? You bet. I have been a homebrewer for almost 20 years and like the IPAs. Really prefer Belgian style beer but the hoppy ones rate right up there.

My wife was addicted to diet coke. After 3 years of almost coughing her guts out from acid reflux, she found a doctor that told her the same thing I have been telling her years, get off they diet cokes and don't eat after 7 p.m. Six months later, the coughing and her health has greatly improved. It is making a difference in her life. We are working on our life style together, eating and drinking what we like but enjoy somethings in moderation. I hope you improve to the point you can enjoy an occasional brew with no side effects.

An Italian girl once taught me that you can put the cork back in the wine bottle, that changed my life.

I never liked dark beer, and hardly drink. I'm only 25 and have suffered h.b and acid reflux since I was 19 or 20. Used to take pills, then I stopped drinking Mountain Dew, eating before bed, stuffing myself with starchy or high carb foods. If only I could quit smoking. Such a horrible and nasty addiction.

Latest posts