Going to Dale Hollow dam for 5 days. Fishing / Gear advice?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
Posting this here because I won't be taking my boat. We only have one tow vehicle, and we're taking the popup camper.

We'll be at the dam site campground on the Obey River about 100 yards down from the lake dam.

My understanding is that this is an excellent trout fishing area. I'm taking a bunch of power bait, along with some flys (woolly buggers and copper johns) and some berkeley vanish 6lb leader.

Going to give this technique a shot:

[youtube]J9BrJbALZzM[/youtube]

Also figure since its a dam spillway, catfish will be around. I usually just use hot dog / spam for channel cat, and I'll catch some bluegill for cutbait as well.

Has anyone been to this area? Any other species to target? I know the Obey empties into the Cumberland, which has striper.

Any particular bait or lures I should consider bringing with me?

Thanks!

I'm so jealous! I love Dale Hollow and the surrounding area. I wish I could convince my wife to move.

Are you going to be doing any bass fishing or just trout?

Jim said:
I'm so jealous! I love Dale Hollow and the surrounding area. I wish I could convince my wife to move.

Are you going to be doing any bass fishing or just trout?

I paid for the extra trout licenses, so I'll be concentrating on that until I hit my bag limit.

I'm taking several coolers with me, and would love to bring back a ton of fish. So I'm going to concentrate on what I like to eat, which is trout and catfish. I've heard striper is good eating too though.

I bought some 4" Chartreuse jig tails and I ahve some 1/4 ounce lead heads, I was going to do some jigging and see if that turned anything up.

Never tried it, but I understand that there are numerous marinas on DH that rent 12/14-foot-outboard-powered boats for a reasonable price. If you find you need to get on the water, that might be an option. richg99

richg99 said:
Never tried it, but I understand that there are numerous marinas on DH that rent 12/14-foot-outboard-powered boats for a reasonable price. If you find you need to get on the water, that might be an option. richg99

We're actually discussing that. I have twin 4 year old daughters, so a pontoon would be a better solution. You can rent a pontoon for the day for $185 + gas and tax.

It would definitely be a fun way to spend a day. We could explore the lake, I could do some fishing, and we could find a beach for the kids to play.

Latest posts