Did I overreact?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
I live in a small town on main street, but my garage and driveway open onto a side street that goes along one side of my yard.

I was working on my popup camper today, lubing the lift system and fixing a water issue. I was in the yard, working on it, when I watched two guys in a pickup VERY slowly drive past my open garage door and were clearly staring into my garage.

My town has a huge issue with meth and heroin. So I shout "Hey, can I help you?" just to make sure they knew I'd seen what they were up to.

They turn and look at me and the driver says "I was just looking at your boat, buddy."

When they drove past, I saw they had one of those bass baby boats that fits in a truck bed in the back.

Now I feel bad I was a jerk towards a fellow angler...but I mean, he was acting pretty sketchy.

I don't blame you. I work in the alley all the time and every day guys are cruising by looking for something for nothing. Once a guy stopped and asked me if I was Dave or some such name and he clearly was on a scouting mission. If they look too suspicious I get out my cell phone and take a pic of the vehicle and plate #. I think it sends the right message thet you're alert to what's going around you.

bobberboy said:
I don't blame you. I work in the alley all the time and every day guys are cruising by looking for something for nothing. Once a guy stopped and asked me if I was Dave or some such name and he clearly was on a scouting mission. If they look too suspicious I get out my cell phone and take a pic of the vehicle and plate #. I think it sends the right message thet you're alert to what's going around you.

A few years ago I was cleaning out my garage and had some scrap metal. Not enough to make it worth it to take it to the scrap yard for cash, but I hated throwing it away, so I posted it on craigslist for free.

A guy came and got it. Dude was COVERED in homemade scribbly tattoos. He was acting spacey, and his eyes were darting all over my garage as we were talking.

I took my phone out and snapped a pic of his front license place and told him "If my house gets broken into, you'll be the first suspect."

No clue if he had bad intentions, but he sure did give my rack of power tools a good hard look.

I don't blame you either. It pays to be on the look out now days. I'm lucky my house is on dead end road way out in the country. I leave the shop garage door open when I leave with the boat most of the time. But there's always a truck parked somwhere here. So they think someone is home.
No way I'd do that anywhere else I've lived.
Heck I really need to start locking the shop to I guess. I'm just to lazy to go get the keys out of the truck when I want in. Yep keys hanging in the truck 24o7. Kinda wish someone would steal it. :mrgreen:

Insanity said:
I don't blame you either. It pays to be on the look out now days. I'm lucky my house is on dead end road way out in the country. I leave the shop garage door open when I leave with the boat most of the time. But there's always a truck parked somwhere here. So they think someone is home.
No way I'd do that anywhere else I've lived.
Heck I really need to start locking the shop to I guess. I'm just to lazy to go get the keys out of the truck when I want in. Yep keys hanging in the truck 24o7. Kinda wish someone would steal it. :mrgreen:

Leave it by my house and someone will

Latest posts