Went on vacation and toured a trout hatchery

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
Just got back from Dale Hollow. Thought I'd post a few pictures from my tour of the trout hatchery next to the campground we stayed at.

36nDWOq.jpg

It was netted to keep the birds out I guess.

Go9D68Y.jpg

GPqQgXQ.jpg

0VAuHvc.jpg

uP1Amty.jpg

The black area is all trout.

HxPkmp5.jpg

YMcHeFr.jpg

They also had an aquarium with local species.

QGUU7Bx.jpg

I caught some while I was there!

rxD4mWE.jpg

Y5ekKHi.jpg

k1n98UM.jpg

Do any of you guys filet trout? I had several people tell me they don't bother keeping them because they are so hard to filet.
I've always just cut the head off, gutted it, and cooked it whole. Then once the meat is tender, you can pull the whole spine and rib cage out in one piece.
Then just eat the meat off the skin.

Trout are great. Used to smoke the lake trout we caught on lake michigan along with the salmon and brown trout. The way you are doing it is great too. I think it just tastes better cooked whole. Fiddlers are what we call whole cooked catfish.
Tim

earl60446 said:
Trout are great. Used to smoke the lake trout we caught on lake michigan along with the salmon and brown trout. The way you are doing it is great too. I think it just tastes better cooked whole. Fiddlers are what we call whole cooked catfish.
Tim

I was thinking about taking my little electric smoker, but decided not to. I think next time I will.

The water is 50* coming out of the dam about 160 feet below the lake level. I had a bunch of surgeries on my feet when I was younger, and my feet are always swollen and hurting. I was using a spinning reel with a chartreuse spoon, and waded out shin deep at the boat ramp while I was fishing and it felt sooooo good. Did that for about 15 minutes, and when I came out my feet were numb from the cold.

I tried to catch catfish and smallmouth too, but had no luck.

We rented a pontoon for 2 days, and I fished my butt off and didn't catch anything besides bluegill.

Jim said:
Thanks for the post and pictures! That is awesome! The food looked killer! :beer:

We ate exceptionally well on this trip.

Bacon and pancakes every morning.
sDierxt.jpg

Some sort of drunken chicken thigh concoction I whipped up after I fell in the river on the 2nd night. I have a nasty set of bruises on my back and a sliced open palm from that.

7nz82j9.jpg

Ever had campfire pies :mrgreen:

YG2I5hc.jpg

Biscuit dough on the outside, stuffed with grilled onions, italian sausage, pepperoni, pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese and cooked over coals.

I picked up that little Aussie grill for $20 on craigslist, and it was an awesome buy. With the griddle side, doing pancakes and eggs is really easy, and it drains the grease off into a grease catch.

Our site setup from this trip:

Uj7gryy.jpg

We were about 20 feet from the river.

Unfortunately last night they kicked on all 3 generators and the river rose really high, so fishing was a bust.

84VJfc7.jpg

muzikman said:
That campsite looks just like ours!

Minivan, popup, canopy over the picnic table....the works!

Just like home away from home!
LOL

If it works, why screw with it, right?

The Oddity tows the camper really well. However it does sag a bit, so I want to get a weight distro hitch for it soon.
We were doing 80 on i75 this morning with no issues. I flipped the axle and switched it from 8" to 14" wheels.

We had to throw the canopy away this trip. :(
It got a few holes in it due to some intense rain and wind.

Luckily, the popup was fine. No roof leaks, but we did have a seal leak in the dinette pullout which caused some wood to swell. So I get to fix that now.

Looks like a great vacation!
I fillet trout.
Don't have to by any means.
Wonderful vacation pictures.
Somebody is eatin good..... =P~

Latest posts