Any bikers out there?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna be 65 in a few months and I'm trying to stay fit so I can get a few more years out of the ol' bod. I used to run but had to quit in my early-mid 50's because my joints couldn't take it any longer. At the time I quit I ran 4 days a week and did about 16-20 miles/week. I only ever did a 10 mile run once at age 50. Nearly killed me. I have a friend who was an avid biker and got me interested and for several years I rode half heartedly. Now that I'm retired I've been trying to get more serious about it but at my age you can only get so serious. I'm having trouble learning to pace myself and so I run out of steam too soon. I can't seem to break the 30 mile mark. I ride with a friend who's half my age and regularly does 75 mile rides. He takes mercy on me when we ride together and I have to try harder as not to embarrass myself. My city is very bike friendly and we've got lots of paths and trails. I live close to the Mississippi River and there are several good trails that follow it both through the city and along the park lands. I am riding a 35 year old Peugeot 12-speed that I really like and recently got a city bike to run errands.

The Peugeot is mostly original. I'm going to put the drop bars back on it now that I have a city bike.

This one is an Origin 8 and it's a 7-speed. Just got it.

Any bikers out there?

Umm,,, yeah. But probably not what you are thinking! :LOL2:

Attachments

• heritage.jpg
    heritage.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 2,281
  • ultra.jpg
    ultra.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 2,281
  • daytona.jpg
    daytona.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2,281
  • fw1.jpg
    fw1.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 2,281
When you say "bikers", I think Harley Davidson' Boss Hoss and the like. I do not have any motorized bikes myself but I do have a bicycle. I use it at work. I work at an airport. The distance can be a good ways to walk especially if you want to cover distance quickly. It is a Murray Beach Cruiser with a front basket and a rear rack. It is excellent at transporting tools to my remote work area and back. It is a single speed with brakes on the pedals. Not exactly a speed demon but I have had it up to 17 mph in short burst. I use it a good bit. I do have a CatEye speedometer on it. It shows speed, max speed, trip miles and total miles. It has a reset button that will reset the max speed and trip miles to zero when pressed. The speedometer is good but when you change the batteries in it you loose to odometer miles accumulated since the last battery change. I usually get about 400 miles before the battery dies.

I have a canal cruiser with rod racks for fishing :)

Kinda like this but my basket is set up in the front

canalcruising1.jpg

I rolled this baby off the showroom floor in 1981 and we've been riding together every since. It's changed colors once and had a few other modifications over the years but we're both still going. I just came back from the first night time ride of this year about 45 minutes ago. Nice cool ride on a warm night.

That LTD 1000 looks awesome Mike! I recall when those were the hottest bike out there. Many of them ended up with Vetter fairings and bags. They made a great touring platform as well as a very nimble hot rod.

Keystone said:
That LTD 1000 looks awesome Mike! I recall when those were the hottest bike out there. Many of them ended up with Vetter fairings and bags. They made a great touring platform as well as a very nimble hot rod.
Thanks, you've had some nice looking bikes yourself. I stripped mine down to the frame about 6 years ago and went through the whole thing. Had the frame blasted and powder coated before going back together with it. It's due for a new seat cover now so I'm thinking it's time for a gel insert or something to make things softer on the south end. I ain't as young as I was when I bought it. :lol:

I have two road bikes and one mountain bike. Ride every time I get the chance. The only way to build up your endurance is to ride, ride, and ride some more. Four years ago when I got started riding a 20 mile ride would cause me to come home crash in the floor and take a nap. Last night I went out for a quick 32 miles just for fun.

20131215_142948_zpsfillod44.jpg

20150310_193325_zpsj2brlcmn.jpg

I went out yesterday to ride, ride, ride and took a digger. In Minneapolis there is an old railroad right of way that has been turned into a bike path called the Greenway. I made the mistake of going on Sunday afternoon. It was very busy. Bikers, skaters, wheelchair-ers, walkers and runners. Like one of those auto thrill shows. Long story short, dislocated finger, stitches to forehead and broken glasses. Thank goodness for helmets or I'd have gotten hurt. Saved the ol' head bone for sure. Maiden voyage of my new bike. Love the folks at Methodist Hospital emergency room!

Does anyone know about athletic glasses? They're supposed to bend and not break. It was my broken glasses that caused the cut to my forehead.

Beautiful bike Mike!!

In the late 70's, early 80's, I went from a KZ400 to KH500 to a KZ1000. When we first had kids, my wife offered me a "deal", I could go on all the hunting trips I wanted, but no more motorcycles and no more sky-diving. Now that our kids are grown and gone she says I can have a bike again. Must be she wants rid of me now. I sorta keep an eye out 'cause I told her if I found a really nice shape KZ1000 again, I'm gonna jump on it. You're pristine bike would have me stroking a check immediately.

As for bicycles.... I have a K2 mountain bike I should get my fat butt on more often.

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

I'm thinking Harley's, too!
Yes, we do....a His and a Hers.

I haven't ridden a bicycle in 10 years, or longer. Hard on old knees.

Nice Bikes posted! All of them!

Nice thread Bobber! 8)
M
Tyler, Texas

Attachments

• IMG_20131220_093219.jpg
    IMG_20131220_093219.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 2,202
Careful there B.Boy - - - you are way too young to be messing up the noggin !!
Biker.jpg

I just purchased a nice Bridgestone Crossfire M-4000 from my local Salvation Army.
This is my first multi-speed bicycle so is taking a little getting used to. It appears to
be the general offroad type.
I do have a question on the gears - - - there are 7 on the right and 3 on the left.
Can't find anything on the net to see how to really get the most out of it. I do have some
"hills" here but not mountains.
Crossfire M-3000.jpg
This photo is of a M-3000 I pulled off the net. Mine is a silver M-4000.
Is in very good condition, gears shift like velvet . . . the price I got it for ??? $15.00

Barefoot_Johnny said:
I do have a question on the gears - - - there are 7 on the right and 3 on the left.
Can't find anything on the net to see how to really get the most out of it. I do have some
"hills" here but not mountains.

The 3 on the left handlebar control the 3 front gears or chainrings. The 7 on the right control the rear cog or cluster. If you are in the little chainring in the front and the big cog on the back, that is the lowest gear you have. Low = slow and is for climbing. One thing you want to avoid is being in the small ring up front and the small cog in the back (or vice-versa, large ring and large cog). That is called cross-chaining and puts unnecessary stress on the chain and rings. You may technically have 3 gears up front and 7 in the back for a total of 21 speeds, but there are many ratios that can be duplicated. A 21 speed bike in actuality might only have 14 gear ratios.

I'm a little out of the loop but at one point bicycles used to be my life. I raced semi-pro mountain bikes in the late 1980's when it was a new and emerging sport. I managed a very high end specialty sports store for 10 years and then eventually went on to work as an outside sales rep for the 2nd largest bike company on earth. I don't ride that much anymore but sometimes.

I have a late sixties Raleigh Super Record. Hand made, butted tubing and lugged frame. It is a work of art. I paid what seemed like a small fortune for it in the early seventies. Still runs great. My other bike is a '00 Moto Guzzi Quota I bought new in '02.

lumix0509039.jpg

bobberboy said:
... It was very busy. Bikers, skaters, wheelchair-ers, walkers and runners. Like one of those auto thrill shows. ...

Good grief ! The bike path sound as busy as boat ramps on weekends. Hope all is well.
-jasper

Latest posts