Love is a lot of work

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Once again I'm lucky no not have a barn or I would so buy this boat. I know wooden boats are the hardest to keep up but this thing's a beauty. When I was a kid my folks owned a resort in central MN. The rental boats were wooden but at the time that was pretty normal. I know my dad spent time every spring getting them ready for the season. I'm always falling in love with the ratty boats that need so much work. I like the name Whitecap too.

I'm thinking you'd need to know your...er....stuff before setting out in a hull that sleek.

But you are right, it is lovely.

Are those smoke stacks for the coal burner :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Does look awesome though.

the more I look at that boat the more I want it for myself !!!
LOL not for sailing - just put in an old "hit n miss" type of inboard motor.
you know, like the one on the African Queen with Humphrey Bogart.
and just go puttering around the lakes and rivers with the pop pop pop pop pop pop
that would be so cool to keep that little girl alive

Stunning classic lines!

It's an Audrey Hepburn.... timeless class & beauty.

oh wow !! Thanks B.B. for sharing !! how long is that boat? about 20ft ?

any purist woodworker is DROOLING over this thing !!
Maintenance ??? heck yeah, hundreds and hundreds of hours and deep pockets
will be needed to bring it back to her glory days.
But, can you just imagine all that hand rubbed and oiled teak deck in the sun ??
And, I am only assuming the housing is mahogany ?

or, the new craze in the auto world is to find an old vehicle, and clearcoat
the rust to preserve the patina and just restore the interior.
don't know how this would work with an old boat, but the weathered look is down right BEAUTIFUL

I just noticed the cradle - LOL that's funny right there - - - but, it works.

Here's the info fro the post:

Beautiful classic boat. Restoration project. 26.5' LOA. Full keel. Needs mast. Has Original Standing and Running Rigging, in Good Condition. Very New Sails in Good Condition. Boom in Good Condition. Keel, Rudder, Deadwood-removed for transport.

The hull appears to be in good shape - you don't see any sprung planks so she hasn't been out of the water too long. Thats said she's dry as toast, and will definitely need recaulking (especially between the deck planks). I'd also be concerned about the fasteners at the transom, and the condition of the frame timber inside, especially in the bilges. She does have promise, though, and I hope someone takes her on.

Just curious; other than the enjoyment of restoring a classic boat and using it, what would be the value of that boat if restored?
Anyone with a ball park figure?

Latest posts