Last fishing trip with my grandpa

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
Sunday I went fishing with my dad and grandpa. My grandpa hasn't gone fishing in many years. He lost a leg due to a MRSA infection in a knee replacement about 15 years ago, so he can't get around too well.

There is a lake my dad, my uncle and I fish that only we have access too. The guy who owns it will only let my uncle and his guests fish there, and no one else. Every time we go, we catch a crazy amount of fish. The bluegill are all 1-1.5lbs. I caught a 40lb or so Channel Cat time before last I was there.

It dried out last week, and we decided to see if we could get Pops back there. So we loaded his electric scooter in my van and took him over. He got back to the lake just fine. But as soon as it got dusk and the fish started biting, he couldn't see his bobber anymore. I also had to bait his hooks, and unhook all the fish for him. But he caught about ten really nice bluegill and a couple bass.

Its rare its that dry, and it wore him out pretty hard, so I don't think we'll be able to take him again.

But he had a fantastic time, and took him and my dad took home a bunch of fish to fry up.

I bet he had a wonderful time though. It's great that you got to do that with him. I use to hunt with my grandpa. I was really looking forward to hunting with him again after my discharge. But he passed away after I had been overseas for a couple of years. I sure do miss him and our hunting trips.

Here he is (and me) on a fishing trip to Sioux Lookout, Ontario in 1993. It was the summer after 2nd grade for me.

q095p3w.jpg

4MZOZen.jpg

Put a little water in my eyes. I'm sure granddad knows what a loving grandson he has and he is proud.

My maternal grandfather passed away before I was born. My paternal grandfather passed when I was just a little boy. I often wonder what lessons I missed out on and the memories that we did not get a chance to make.

I never knew my grandfather. My Dad died just before my 18th Birthday.
Guess I had to grow up pretty early thinking back about that but my Uncle Dusty used to stop by and visit once in a while. As I got older and hopefully a little wiser I began a great relationship with him. I traveled to Tennessee often to see him.
He continued fishing on his own until he was around 91 years old. At that point he needed help getting his boat off the trailer, help getting his legs over the side of the boat, etc. but he still loved it. Kept his boat for a couple years after he quit and would go with one of his other, younger (in his 80's) fishing buddies. I kept his engine running for him when I visited......just in case!
He started me into Lever guns for my hunting. Said there was no need for long range rifles in the tight Southern woods. He was right again. I now own many of them and think of him every time I handle one.
Your story is special, make the effort and take him as often as he can or wants, you will never regret it.
Uncle Dusty was a pilot during the war. He flew the P-61 Black Widows mainly with occasional jaunts in B-25's, P-38's, P-51's then transferred in to early jets after the war.
He lived until age 96!

Yep, I still fish with my dad every opportunity I get. He's 85 and still loves to fish, even though it wears him out. Its a long time afterwards before he regains his energy. Looking forward to visiting and fishing with him this fall.

Thanks, all for sharing.

jasper

Latest posts