Bad Luck Streak, Storms, Broken Rods and Missed Fish.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whj812

Reaction score
Well I just started new hours at work where I am off on Mondays and work 4 , 10 hour days. I like the fact that I get to fish on Mondays now. So I call up a friend and we go to a small private lake and fished today.

To start off the day we are using the trolling motor to leave the dock and I set hook into the first fish of the day on my first cast. It was a small 10-12 inch LM. I just had let the fish go when I looked down and saw that one of my spinning rods was broken. Dont really know how that one happened. We fished on I caught another one, and head a splash in behind a lily pad line and we started throwing at it. I tossed a Paca Craw at the bank and drug it into the lake. All I saw was wake and a tail come to the bait and take it. I set hook into it and it felt HEAVY(over 5lbs) and it got marred up in the lily pads and either the line broke or the knot came free and I missed the biggest Bass Ive ever felt in my life.

Later in the day my buddy was fishing and got hung up in a tree with an xrap, pulled back on it and it flew directly at him striking the rod at the tip breaking his BPS xps spinning rod...... never seen that happen before.

After all that, we noticed that the wind was picking up and clouds started boiling up.... (keep in mind that on the lake that we were fishing electric motor is only allowed) We kept fishing for a bit when we heard some thunder and felt a little rain and we started heading for the shelters that are setup on the banks. It came the hardest rain that I think Ive seen in a while, wind, thunder and Lighting all around. Lighting struck in 3 places all within a matter of 100 yards from us. We hit the bank like crazy....in the process of me getting out I broke my other Spinning rod that I just purchased not more than 3 weeks ago. There we were sitting in the woods freezing from wind and rain in the middle of July!!!!!

We finally make it to the dock and we are both drenched, and I was thinking to myself....at least I didnt break my casting rod that I just bought for the reel I just got from this old guy that runs a bait shop. We are unloading the boat when I saw what looked to be about 3-4lb bass swim under the lily pads at the dock. I got my casting rod and made a few pitches to the pads hoping to seal the day with at least one decent fish. When I start hearing click click clang....what the heck the rod tip of my BPS rod was broken.

I just wanted to share this with everyone..... Has anyone else had days like this??

Yes, And you know what your problem was right?..............................

whj812 said:
To start off the day we are using the trolling motor to leave the dock and I set hook into the first fish of the day on my first cast.

I don't care what anyone says, I believe this 100 percent. You catch a fish on your first cast, your done.

Man that sounds like a pretty bad day. I would be very upset breaking that many rods in one day. First cast catching is always bad luck as Jim said, but I have never had that bad of luck from it [-o< and I hope to keep it that way.

Look at it this way, you didn't get struck by lightning, which is always a plus.

Jim said:
Yes, And you know what your problem was right?..............................

whj812 said:
To start off the day we are using the trolling motor to leave the dock and I set hook into the first fish of the day on my first cast.

I don't care what anyone says, I believe this 100 percent. You catch a fish on your first cast, your done.
I've noticed that!

it happens, I got an x rap stuck on my hand, broke a rod and busted a prop on the same day it sucks but it happens.

I have always gone by the catch a fish on the first cast is bad luck frame of mind, so I always do my absolute best to make sure that the first cast is impossible to catch something on. I will cast away from where I think the fish are, and then run the bait in as fast as possible (I never throw a fast running bait first) to the boat. But, while on vacation, I got a tangle, and wasn't able to reel in at superspeed off the pier one morning. So, a stupid baby sand shark got my shrimp rig, and I thought my day was shot. But, later in the day, I caught the hammerhead, which is my biggest fish to date. Go figure.

If I were to have a day like that, I wouldn't leave the house without a full face helmet for a month. :lol:

Latest posts