If you're towing with a small car - Install a tranny cooler!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
Its cheap insurance for your transmission!

I bought a cheap tranny cooler and tossed it on my Civic today. I bought a hitch for it so I can tow my boat, so we can take both the boat and popup when we go camping and I don't have to make 2 trips to the house and 2 trips back to bring everything. The boat is 860lbs with a full tank of gas and deep cycle battery. My civic can tow 1000lbs.
And, with as windy and hilly as some of the roads are around here, I decided it would be a good idea to put a transmission cooler on the civic.
The cooler helps keep the transmission fluid (for an automatic) cool - overheating is the #1 killer of transmissions.

You just put it in series with your existing stock-cooler thats built into the radiator. You put the new one BEFORE the radiator one, because you actually don't want to over-cool the fluid in the winter time, and the radiator will help heat it up to temp as well, when its cold out.

The one I bought just uses zip ties to attach to your AC condenser.

J1Yns18.jpg

It came with JUST enough hose, but I had another 4 feet on hand just in case, but I didn't want to use it because the hose it came with was a lot nicer and thicker.
I had to pull the front bumper off the car. Its WAY easier than it looks. Its just 2 screws in the wheel wells, then a bunch of those stupid plastic rivets, then the whole thing just lifts off.

kczeg0q.jpg

I used some wire loom to help protect the hose around any sharp edges.
Once the bumper is back on, you can hardly see its there.

3pfcFrf.jpg

I just removed the top hose in between the transmission and the stock cooler, and put this in, in place.

The hardest part was taking the battery out so I could get to the existing transmission hoses.

Once your done, you add about half a quart of fluid due to the additional capacity of the new hoses and cooler. Check for leaks, take it for a spin, and check the fluid and for leaks again.
I started around 3:30 and was done by 5:30.

Now I don't have any worries about frying my transmission from towing my boat to the lake.

And yeah, before it comes up, a plate and fin style cooler like this one - https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-678-Rapid-Cool-Transmission/dp/B000C3DDKO Is WAY better. But, I already had this one on hand (I think was going to use it for water cooling a PC at one point but never got around to it...) and the Civic isn't that big and I'm not pushing its limits too much, so I felt it was ok. In my van that we tow our camper with, I have the Honda OEM plate and fin style cooler added. I would have went aftermarket and used a Hayden, but I have 40k miles left on the warranty and didn't want Honda to complain if they saw I used a non-stock part.

Looks good. A little advice, If there are sharp edges around the hose the wire loom is not going to protect it for long. You need to have something more protective if a sharp edge is touching or is able to reach the hose.

KMixson said:
Looks good. A little advice, If there are sharp edges around the hose the wire loom is not going to protect it for long. You need to have something more protective if a sharp edge is touching or is able to reach the hose.

Nothing super sharp, just the edge of the radiator. I did it just because I had it and figured it was better to do it than not.

"If you're towing with a small car - Install a tranny cooler!"

Better yet, if you're towing with ANYTHING - Install a transmission cooler!

It's an hour forty-five for me one way with an altitude change of 2000+. Good sense kicked in on me years ago when I installed my first one.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
A transmission temp gauge is nice too.

Get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Adapter-Android/dp/B00PJPHEBO/

And you can connect it to Torque Pro on your android device and see every diagnostic code and the value of all the sensors in the car.

Absolutely invaluable for troubleshooting.

Hmm...was planning on towing my 14' tinny with my Saturn. I'm well within the 1000lb towing capacity, hell the trailer weighs more than the boat, probably 650lbs all together, but unless I'm mistaken a cooler isn't an option as I've got a 5-speed.

onthewater102 said:
Hmm...was planning on towing my 14' tinny with my Saturn. I'm well within the 1000lb towing capacity, hell the trailer weighs more than the boat, probably 650lbs all together, but unless I'm mistaken a cooler isn't an option as I've got a 5-speed.

Nope, you don't need a cooler on a manual. I'd suggest making sure you change the fluid and put in good fluid though. I'd recommend the GM Syncromesh fluid.

I bought the car used with 112k miles on it so I changed out the gear oil/coolant/brake fluid/power steering fluid when I bought it JIC. I've only put 18k miles on it in 2 years since then so I should be ok.

I've seen engine oil pans that have an integral heat sink, but didn't think there was anyway to work up something similar on a manual, but perhaps someone here had seen it done somewhere.

Latest posts