Any Frequent Fliers???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
Hi again,

In making our travel arrangements for our Hawaii trip, I have booked non-stop flights on a Boeing 777-200. I have assigned seating (see site below) but I can change seats now to any of the white open seats.

Our seats are currently over the wing. we can go farther back on the plane and get seats behind the wing for a better view out the window and feel less claustrophobic (not me, but my cousin Janet (legbrkr) is). So, she would feel better with a window seat that she can see more out of, as opposed to being over the wing with nothing but a view of the wing.

So, the question is: Are we better off over the wing or should we move back towards the rear of the plane? I've always heard that the back of the plane is safer? (in a crash). Will it be more noisy since we'd be behind the engines (mounted on the wings)? The first attachment is the seating chart - the second attachment is a shot of the outside of the plane so you can see where the seats are located (middle and rear). BTW, this plane has 2 seats on both outsides and 5 seats in the middle.

Our current seats are in row 29 & 30, over the wing. Should we move back to around 44-49??

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=seating+chart,+777-200&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&imgil=2VzvUxfffwdf1M%253A%253BP0pV1HVu5wb59M%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.united.com%25252Fweb%25252Fen-US%25252Fcontent%25252Ftravel%25252Finflight%25252Faircraft%25252F777%25252F200%25252Fv5.aspx&source=iu&pf=m&fir=2VzvUxfffwdf1M%253A%252CP0pV1HVu5wb59M%252C_&dpr=1&usg=__pDIuv6fEElH1kfYYbkWon38WIkw%3D&ved=0CEgQyjdqFQoTCI7FrpqDsccCFUbRgAoducEIgA&ei=QE3SVY6lN8aigwS5g6OACA#imgrc=2VzvUxfffwdf1M%3A&usg=__pDIuv6fEElH1kfYYbkWon38WIkw%3D

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/Boeing_777_above_clouds,_crop.jpg&imgrefurl=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777&h=852&w=1630&tbnid=5VJuvF6rwSoVbM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=200&usg=__MOfaMqfhjLfp_NdJyBfN1YgqCRg=&docid=1ruRybUDM3HAAM&itg=1

Directly on the wing will be more stable and you will feel less turbulence. Further forward or back will be more turbulent.

The "Triple 7" is a very large airplane. It will be pretty comfortable anywhere you you sit unless you hit severe turbulence in which case it will get bumpy anywhere you sit. Being such a large plane it will take turbulence much better than a small one. Over the wing is commonly considered the smoothest but not by much for as much I have flown on airliners (which is a lot, since I used to work at Delta).
As for the noise, behind the wing is not that much noisier than in front of the wing. You might be able to faintly hear the engines if you listen close but it is a beautiful noise. The only time I ever had problems with sitting behind the wing on an aircraft was back it the early eighty's when I took a trip from Atlanta Ga. to Wichita Ks. on a Delta 737-200. I was right behind the wing and was partly deaf when we deplaned in Wichita. They have retired all of there 737-200's years ago. They are flying their next generations of 737's now which include the 800 and 900 models which are very very quiet compared to the 200 models. The only other plane that I would try to stay away from the rear is the MD-80's aircraft. The engines are mounted on the rear pretty much at window level for the rear rows. If you look out the window in those rows all you see is an engine cowling. The engine is right there but it is still not deafening like the old planes were. It may be pretty loud on takeoff but in cruise it is not too bad. Typically the takeoff in any plane is the loudest part of the flight due to higher thrust requirements.

Have fun, And think of me slaving away as you are sitting on the beach drinking a Mai-Tai.

The triple 7 is a great plane, I have logged over 36,000 miles riding in them. I prefer over the wings. Very smooth ride even with turbulence.

Best seats in that cabin are in rows 16 & 39 (more legroom), but the airline knows that and makes them Economy+ class. Window views are overrated on most flight as there is little to see except during takeoff & landing and that can be good or bad depending on which side of the plane you are sitting (you'll be landing on an island and only one side will really get a good view of the approach). I base my seating decisions on comfort and ease of getting on and off the aircraft. Rows 16 & 39 will be the most comfortable by far because of the legroom and easy in and out of the seats (both important considerations on long flights). If you sit in the back of the plane, you will have a longer wait to deplane when you land. I usually just sit and read until the plane is almost empty before even getting up since I will be waiting 15 minutes or more at baggage claim for my luggage. If you want to be among the first off the plane (no checked luggage) sit near the front of the cabin.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip !!! 8)

FishingCop said:
Any help or suggestions?

Not sure if you have one, but my cheap tablet is my travel buddy.. Mine has 16gb of storage in itself, and a 32gb micro sd card of additional storage. I have numerous movies on it, as well as a few thousand songs, a bunch of books and a ton of games..

The nice thing about a tablet (mine's a 8" Hyundai RockX) is that it doesn't take up much space to use, like a laptop would.. And with today's rules you don't have to put it away for take off and landing.

I'm flying from Madison, WI to Little Rock, via Atlanta, and I'll be enjoying this unit during all four legs, unless I decide to nap. :wink: It passes the time extremely well..

On very large planes like this, I try to avoid sitting in the way back due to the time it takes to get off the plane. It's not a ton of time in the grand scheme of things, but I get ancy when there's a bunch of people standing up waiting to get out around me especially at the end of a long flight.

studies have shown that the further back you are the more likely you will survive a crash. :) plus you are closer to the bathroom

And sitting in the first few rows in coach on Delta gets you a more comfortable seat and a gin and tonic before your nap. My issue with napping while flying is the loud noise that wakes me. I've come to find out it's usually my snoring. :)