Tablets

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ictalurus

Reaction score
Looking at getting a tablet. Mainly for looking at/sharing photo's and a portable video player. I'd also like to be able to download/read books.

Please note that I'm not really into tech things, I have a flip phone still, it's a rugby so it's nice though!

I think I've got it dialed down to the samsung galaxy 7".

So tinboaters who have a tablet, please offer your advise and wisdom on what to look for and stay away from.

Edited to say I did use the search funtion, found a discussion from 2011, main topic was the kindle.

Another option would be the Nexus 7. I know it may be an older one but it is pretty kickbutt and better than most tablets. Try to get the 2013 32GB version. That applies to anything you get.

I like the iPad that I had. Apple is probably about to drop something new here in the next mouth...hoping it's a new and improved iPad. I got to play with one Surface Pro here at work and really liked it. The snap on keyboard is nice.

Before you jump on a tablet...take a serious look at a Chromebook.

I own a Nexus 7. It is a fine tablet. My wife owns an Apple Ipad (version ??)

Both are fine tablets. Both do their job well.

But, neither has a real keyboard.

The particular Toshiba Chromebook that I have cost around $300.00 Big bright screen, instant on, lots of apps and websites that pop up immediately. Lightweight; doesn't heat up on my lap like my notebook computer did. Large, easily changed settings for brightness; sound; and just about everything else.

Full suite of Google options free with it and more to add on.

My Nexus sits, forlornly, on the table..... while I put me Chromebook on my lap and type away, as I am doing right now.

Just give one a try at Best Buy or someplace where you can get some hands-on with both a pad and a Chromebook.

regards, richg99

I have been using an iPad since they first came out. If your technical with windows and want to stay with that platform, the surface pro's are awesome.

If you want everything you mentioned with ease of use and functions great, you cant go wrong with the iPad. I highly recommend stepping up though and getting one with more available space.

Doesnt one of the big box stores give you a trial period with the ability to return if you dont like it?

Thanks for the input everyone.

I do like my ipod classic and the apple line in general. However, I'd like to have the SD slot so i can change things up when there is no internet. I don't have wifi at my house.

I like the surface pros, but man, picking what you need/like is very overwhelming. At BB they had all sorts of mix and match stuff for them and I had no idea what I was even looking at. And yes, I spoke to the rep, but it was sort of like the tackle shop explaining fishing gear to my wife!

I already have a small netbook, so I'm not sure another netbook is needed, but I do like the surface pro idea. The only issue is the newer windows, I still like XP, at work its windows seven. Do you think the newer OS is an issue, and can you make it look like the older XP?

I'm actually really happy with my Amazon Fire 7. I had a 10" tablet before that, and both my wife and I gave ours to our kids and got 7" tablets (she bought herself one of them and won mine in a raffle). I like the 7" a lot more. The 10" is too big to be comfortable with for reading.

And yes, the SD card is very nice. I load my Fire up with books before we go on a camping trip, so I have something to read before everyone else gets up, while the kids are napping, and while I'm waiting on fish to bite!

richg99 said:
Before you jump on a tablet...take a serious look at a Chromebook.

I own a Nexus 7. It is a fine tablet. My wife owns an Apple Ipad (version ??)

Both are fine tablets. Both do their job well.

But, neither has a real keyboard.

The particular Toshiba Chromebook that I have cost around $300.00 Big bright screen, instant on, lots of apps and websites that pop up immediately. Lightweight; doesn't heat up on my lap like my notebook computer did. Large, easily changed settings for brightness; sound; and just about everything else.

Full suite of Google options free with it and more to add on.

My Nexus sits, forlornly, on the table..... while I put me Chromebook on my lap and type away, as I am doing right now.

Just give one a try at Best Buy or someplace where you can get some hands-on with both a pad and a Chromebook.

regards, richg99

Model #'s please, i'm considering a chrome book as well, so 1st hand knowledge is golden rightLOL