Rod socks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
I was going to build an organizer for my rod locker like some of the guys with the high dollar bass boats see on another site. Seems pretty straight forward. Unfortunately those work well with bait casters and I only use spinning rods (except for my salmon rods, and they are too long for the lockers) and they won't fit in the golf club tubes. I thought about PVC but would need 3" PVC (2 5/8" diameter at largest guide) and I think that would look like crap. I mentioned rod socks, rod slicks or whatever the are called to my wife who said she would make me some (prolly gonna be girly material too). Does anyone use these things and what is the brand you recommend (so I can look them up and my wife can infringe on their patent and copy them)? Might still do a storage thing on the other side for my salmon rods, but I'll have to see if they will fit in the tubes when broken down into 2 pieces. Have to finish wiring in my air horns too (below deck).

I have one of these on my baitcaster and love it. But i am not sure if it is what u r looking for.

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_21141____SearchResults

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for and even did a search with "rod socks" and nothing came up. Guess it didn't like the plural. How strong is the elastic? does it make the rods want to bend? Wife was thinking about a drawstring type set up. Better or worse idea?

I have the same ones...like 10 of them. YOu can go to yur local walmart and get the heavy nylon material and have your wife sew it in a cone type shape.

Let me send you one!

A rod organizer / box won't work with spinning reels? :shock:

I'll be right back... I gotta go take all of my rods out of mine before something happens to them. :lol:

J/K

flounder, I may not be understanding what you want to make but what I have in my boat works fine. I have a rod/gun box on the side and there are tubes that go through the end wall that joins the front deck. I put the ends of my rods into those tubes and lay the butt end with the reels on their sides in the box. Works like a charm.

https://www.stickjacket.com/

Probably be getting a couple of these in the coming weeks. After having been in boats with both, I actually prefer these to the dividers. Why don't you start using "real" fishing rods? (casting rods) :lol: :lol:

bassboy1 said:
https://www.stickjacket.com/

Probably be getting a couple of these in the coming weeks. After having been in boats with both, I actually prefer these to the dividers. Why don't you start using "real" fishing rods? (casting rods) :lol: :lol:

Im a fan of the stickjackets too! I just had a chance to hold them and I am impressed.

Quackrstackr said:
A rod organizer / box won't work with spinning reels? :shock:

I'll be right back... I gotta go take all of my rods out of mine before something happens to them. :lol:

J/K

flounder, I may not be understanding what you want to make but what I have in my boat works fine. I have a rod/gun box on the side and there are tubes that go through the end wall that joins the front deck. I put the ends of my rods into those tubes and lay the butt end with the reels on their sides in the box. Works like a charm.

Perhaps on yours, which is on the side, but with my Tracker it is in front of my console and only the bottom 3 feet stick out, the top 4 feet inside the enclosed area. On a couple of my 7 foot rods the last guide has to be in the tube and I measured the distance from front of guide to back of rod and it was 2 5/8", thus needing that large of a tube. Largest golf tubes made are 1 5/8" ID. I was wanting to keep it uniform and not sure I would be happy with ten 3" PVC holes. Especially when 4 of them would be for my 5' UL crappie/perch rods. If I was a decent wood worker I was almost thinking like wooden mail boxes only really deep (like 4'). That won't be happening either.

Stick Jackets for $9.05 each. Not for me. I cut my teeth when I was just a wee lad on spinning rods. The fishing I do I don't need a casting rod. The reels I use for salmon don't get casted, just let the line out.

Jim said:
I have the same ones...like 10 of them. YOu can go to yur local walmart and get the heavy nylon material and have your wife sew it in a cone type shape.

Let me send you one!

That would be cool so she can use it as a pattern

flounderhead59 said:
Jim said:

Let me send you one!

That would be cool so she can use it as a pattern

Ummm... never mind. I sent the wife a link to the BPS rod socks and she said it would be cheaper to buy them. Her way of saying "I ain't doing it". Guess I'll swing by BPS and pick some up.

I gotcha.

Only about a foot of the tip is in the tubes on my boat.

How do you get rods in and out of the tubes without breaking if you have more in the tube than in the box?

Quackrstackr said:
I gotcha.

How do you get rods in and out of the tubes without breaking if you have more in the tube than in the box?

Gotta bend them, and that is when they really get the line caught on the guides of the other rods. If I have more than 3 rods in there, it is easier to pull them all out at once.

flounderhead59 said:
Quackrstackr said:
I gotcha.

Gotta bend them, and that is when they really get the line caught on the guides of the other rods. If I have more than 3 rods in there, it is easier to pull them all out at once.

Those BPS socks will take care of that for sure. :beer: I stuffed 13 rods in my G3.

flounderhead,
The elastic is strong enough to hold it on well and secure but does not bent my 6'6" MH casting rod at all. They really work great may i also sugeest reel covers they are reely niceand they look pretty cool too :) Hope that helps :lol:

bluegill slayer said:
flounderhead,
The elastic is strong enough to hold it on well and secure but does not bent my 6'6" MH casting rod at all. They really work great may i also sugeest reel covers they are reely niceand they look pretty cool too :) Hope that helps :lol:

One step at a time.

My only real fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.

Andy,

I used the BPS Rod Socks on my PT175 because the rods would get tangled in the locker. The socks cured that right away. Oh, the elastic on the rod socks is adjustable for different lengths (up to 7'). They fit my 7' rods with no problem, and I have them also for my wife's 6' rods. I still use the rod socks when I'm headed to the lake to bank fish and put the rods in the bed of the truck, and also while they're in the storage rack in the garage. I've definitely gotten my moneies worth out of them.

Here's a pic showing the elastic adjusted to fit my 7' rods:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/albums/userpics/luretamer1.JPG It doesn't bend the rods. Also, when/if you get around to getting reel covers, the BPS ones fit both left & right spinning reels. You turn them inside-out for right-handed reels (I finally figured that out after I got them).

Going to get the rod socks Tuesday (BPS has 10% Military Discount 15th thru the 21st). I'll look at the reel covers at the same time.

Mr. Flounder, you wont be disappointed and like someone suggested reel covers are also good, if you go out in someone elses boat make sure they're secured cause any kinda wind will get those babies air born.

bluegill slayer said:
I have one of these on my baitcaster and love it. But i am not sure if it is what u r looking for.

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_21141____SearchResults

I have those too and they're great! I use them for storing them and in the car, they don't get tangled up.

Latest posts