Cutbacks in boating companies/pro-staffs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Layoffs of workers and cutbacks on Pro Staffs starting to hit some of the major companies in boating:

From Bassfan.com:
"More Brunswick cuts: Lund 7/11/2008.
Brunswick continued to cut positions today in its effort to downsize, and eliminated several pro-staff and marketing related positions at Lund Boats.

The news again raises the specter of what lies ahead for bass-related Brunswick brands such as Mercury and Triton – in particular, pro-staff and tournament-sponsorship activities. Both Mercury and Triton maintain large, hard-hitting pro staffs and sponsor a significant portion of the nation's bass tournament trails (as Lund does on the walleye side)."

Here's a link with more on the subject: (dated 7/8/08)
https://www.walleyefan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=353

Do you think the layoffs at the factories will affect warranty issues (repairs) being resolved (in a timely manner) for customers?

It shouldn't for now.

That appears to just be PR and marketing positions, essentially advertising $.

If what I am seeing on the lakes this summer is any indication, look for cuts to get much deeper at all of the outdoor equipment manufacturers. One of the marina owners on the lake said his business is down over 80% from what it normally is. I believe it. That appears to be about the reduction in boat traffic that I am seeing all up and down the lake.

I have noticed the same thing here in pa... the one marina i fish has around 80 slips and has had a waiting list they are less than half full.
gas prices are keeping boats in storage from what I see

Wayne

Jim said:
A few people I have talked to said they are only using their boats 2-3 times this years as opposed to every weekend.

I sold my tin boat last fall (lost my storage space) it had a 15 hp on it I wish i had found a way to keep it I let the boat go fo $800 and see boats with less selling for a lot more. but i think i would be using that thing more than my toon... :cry:

I'm starting to notice more boats for sale around here. Usually they're the older v-hulls w/windshield type and a good-sized outboard hanging off the rear. It's a little bit of a drive from here to get to big water such as Ky and Barkley Lakes.

Waterwings said:
Do you think it (lake traffic/marina business drop) is due to the gas price increase(s)?

Absolutely.

Gas on the water is $5+ a gallon here. That gets into your pocket deep in very short order.

I can run $50 through mine in a day's time if I'm doing a lot of running. I can't imagine trying to feed a cruiser, house boat or one of the big cigarettes that are popular here. I just sold my ski boat two weeks ago and am proud to be shed of it.

Like redbug said, marinas that had waiting lists for years aren't even 50% capacity here now. I figure people are opting to tow their boats back and forth and spend the money spent on a slip toward fuel. I'm seeing a lot of big cruisers parked at different places on trailers this year. I can't ever remember seeing that in the past.

We have a place on Pymatuning Lake in NW PA with a 20hp limit and we have noticed an increase of tin boats at the ramps while boat traffic on the unlimited HP lake nearby have decreased quite a bit. Usually 3 gallons of gas lasts me all weekend, even though the gas I save on the boat is used in the car to get to the lake.

Waterwings said:
Layoffs of workers and cutbacks on Pro Staffs starting to hit some of the major companies in boating:

From Bassfan.com:
"More Brunswick cuts: Lund 7/11/2008.
Brunswick continued to cut positions today in its effort to downsize, and eliminated several pro-staff and marketing related positions at Lund Boats.

The news again raises the specter of what lies ahead for bass-related Brunswick brands such as Mercury and Triton – in particular, pro-staff and tournament-sponsorship activities. Both Mercury and Triton maintain large, hard-hitting pro staffs and sponsor a significant portion of the nation's bass tournament trails (as Lund does on the walleye side)."

Here's a link with more on the subject: (dated 7/8/08)
https://www.walleyefan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=353

Do you think the layoffs at the factories will affect warranty issues (repairs) being resolved (in a timely manner) for customers?
I think Brunswick is such a big company, it is hurting them worse than others. I never really liked them, and won't buy a brunswick made boat if at all possible. Plus, they are never really known for their quality. The Lund boats have gone down in quality a lot since being bought out by Brunswick. I have heard the exact same for Triton as well. As much as I like the older Lunds, ain't no way I would buy a new one.

Latest posts