1sr boat buying help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrl5678

Reaction score
I have gone full circle from buying a 14' Jon to back to buying a 14' Jon. I love used "things" I am in Texas, Houston. I just want a boat I can splash easy drive it around, what not. I have never owned one and just ned a little insight in to starting in with the process.

Your question stems answers that will be all over the map.

what is your past boating experience ?
you said "I have gone full circle from buying a 14' Jon to back to buying a 14' Jon"

. . . does that mean you have had a boat before ?
do you have a budget in mind ? $500 to $5,000 ??
how old are you ?
Several things to take into consideration would be . . . .
Do you need a boat that is registered ?? If so, ENSURE that whatever
you look at, has all the legal applicable registration papers, title, etc.
electric only ?
what size outboard ?
tiller or remote steer ?
how many people will normally be in the boat ?
You want a fishing boat or runabout pleasure boat ?
what kind of water will you use the most ? rivers, lakes, streams, etc.
yada yada yada . . . . sort of like asking what kind of truck should I get.

If you are new to boating entirely, maybe you could rent a boat a few times to see if you enjoy it. I spend about as much time working on my boat as I do using it.

Hopefully you have a convenient place to store it. Also, don't forget about the insurance & repair costs; boating isn't free.

Lastly, it is tempting to buy the cheapest boat you find. A larger & less beat-up boat may actually be a better buy for the long run.

I have never owned a boat.
I have sailed a lot on small wet boats as crew for years, well in the past I have.
I am 44 YOA.
I am most likely going to be alone in the boat just getting away from people.
I meant by going around a circle as in what I was looking for. I have room in covered parking in my back yard for 14' or so boat.
I am inexperienced with outboards but have spent a lot of time in small row and wind powered boats.
A riveted jon boat form a sporting good store with a tiller but one that is able to be fitted with remote steering?
I looked into renting but around here (Harris County Texas) not available or affordable.
I would love to get a 16' all weld center counsel with a 50HP motor T-Top trailer and a GPS Radar Navigation station but that is my champagne taste on a beer budget.
Also I believe if it is small enough and light enough I can handle it on land alone, I am more likely to use it.

Thanks for the questions about my questions I am trying to form all this in my head

Get a 1448 w/ a 9.9 - 25HP.

Unless you plan on being on a very large body of water a majority of the time, that setup should work well for the situations you describe.

The difference in price between a riveted 1436 and a welded 1448 is a lot of money more than 1000$ is the difference between each that much?

Latest posts