Tow vehicles

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smidge

Reaction score
Wondering what everyone here uses as a tow vehicle and what are you pulling. I plan on using my 2005 Subaru wrx to pull my 14' aluminum valco. It doesn't weigh much and the wrx is rated to tow up to 2,000 lbs. I have taken the boat on a 4 hour drive round trip with no outboard and I did just fine going up two grades. My only concern is pulling out the boat at ramps. A lot of ramps around here tend to be pretty steep. ( southern California). But then again I am used to big Hills and high elevation mountain passes at 8k ft. My car does no problem loaded full of people and snkwboard/skiing gear going up Hills and over passes. Anyone else pull a small boat with a similar vehicle? Getting a dedicated tow vehicle just is not in the budget right now.

back in highschool when i wrecked my truck i pulled two jetskis on a double trailer with a hyundai 4cyl 5spd. any other time i pulled with a 2wd 5spd S-10. they guy that bought my bought last spring used a 2wd rav-4. he said he didnt have any problems.

Years ago in my younger days, I towed a 15' glass boat with a 50 rude with a 80's Toyota Corolla 4 banger/5 speed. Hills here in E TN were slow, and the ramps were rough at times but I made it without an incident. Now, I tow a Alumacraft Classic 165cs/60 4s with a 2010 Ford Sport Trac V8, no issues, get 14-15 mpg when towing.

I tow a 1648 Lowe with 50 hp, bass boat version. Probably doesn't weigh much more than 500/600 lbs (boat and motor) but I really don't know. I tow it with a 6 cylinder Toyota Sienna and don't even know the boat is back there.

richg99

Towing a 1448 flat bottom with 25hp, whole package with boat, trailer, motor and gear has gotta be less than 600 pounds. Towing with a 1998 jeep Cherokee with 4.0. Don't even notice I'm towing anything and average about 16 on highway. Same as not towing :-(

I launch and tow with our 2010 odyssey. Same engine as the pilot and ridgeline.

We tow with my civic, but.I won't launch with that.

I don't have a picture of my tow vehicle but it's a 2007 Toyota Prius.
They can handle up to 1200 pounds according to the members of the yahoo group towing with your Prius.
The most I have pulled is about 800 pounds, my 14' 1968 StarCraft Falcon without a motor from Green bay Wi 200 miles to home. MPG was about 40.

Steve A W said:
Wow!
I feel like a minority.
I pull my 16' jon boat with an '02 Suburban.
Is that overkill or what? :oops:
LOL

Steve A W

You obviously need a much bigger boat.

(Glad to help)
:mrgreen:

Hey, I found a pic of my rigs ready to roll out for a trip.

TP8yvDG.jpg

keelme said:
when we go to fla usually take the van

Haha, love it! Two boats one trailer! Genius.

I tow with a Toyota Tacoma. No pictures with my boat but here is one towing the ice fishing gear:
Destination%20Trailer-M.jpg

And a better one of the truck with its new shoes:
tires%201-M.jpg

With the boat I lose maybe 2 mpg. With the snowmobile and ice fishing gear I lose probably 6mpg.

Here's my 2000 Camaro SS I used to tow my 15' Hobie with. It actually towed really well with the SS suspension upgrades. I still have the hitch which was previously used on my 93 Indy 500 Pace Car.

Attachments

• Boatatramp.jpg
    Boatatramp.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 395
Pull my fully rigged 2014 g3 1548 vbw w/25 hp etec with my 09 vw jetta TDI (diesel) ,,, have no problem at the ramps I have used along the Colorado River ,,, made a few I-40 trips with it out to my place in Topock from my house here in Riverside about 250 miles getting about 32 mpg pulling 60 to 65 mph,,, most of the time boat stays out there and only use the car to launch the boat 5 miles from the house

Attachments

• IMG_1086.JPG
    IMG_1086.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 365

Latest posts