Handheld GPS Advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverBottomOutdoors

Reaction score
Guys,
Need some advice on a handheld GPS. There is one must-have-cannot-do-without feature: Waterproof. It must be waterproof...not water resistant...not resistant to rain...I mean submersible waterproof. I will be using this to mark holes while noodling for catfish. Since it will get wet and muddy - no touch screens. If the device can have maps loaded to it that would be a plus (map images comparable to Google Maps).

Any recommendations and advice appreciated.

They make them, but be aware of the limitations of the rating standard.

For example, many handheld GPS units claim 'waterproof', but if you look at the specifics of the rating, if their waterproof design meets the IEC 60529 lPX7 standard, that only means it has been tested to be submerged to 1-meter for up to 30-minutes.

DaleH said:
They make them, but be aware of the limitations of the rating standard.

For example, many handheld GPS units claim 'waterproof', but if you look at the specifics of the rating, if their waterproof design meets the IEC 60529 lPX7 standard, that only means it has been tested to be submerged to 1-meter for up to 30-minutes.

Thanks, Dale. I'm not familar with the ratings standards. Need to do some Googling, I reckon. This stanndard of 1 meter for 30 minutes should be fine. If I'm underwater for 30 minutes, I probably have bigger issues! :mrgreen:

I suggest you stop sticking your hands in holes where they don't belong! :LOL2:

113df1c63541dead91ed176ab27668e863dc6d7fa1bc9b6440c9deb161de8b57.jpg

Cant tell ya much about the newer ones but I have 15 year old Magellan SporTrak https://www.amazon.com/Magellan-SporTrak-Map-Waterproof-Hiking/dp/B000064184, been a great tool over the years,,, Magellan's service couldn't be beat by anyone,,,, my unit didnt get used for a year+ once and the battery leaked and messed up the insides big time,, sent it in to the factoy service center to see if it couldnt be repaird,,, sent them somthing like $50 for a diagnostic fee 2 weeks later got box from them with a brand new one in it,,,, couldn't of been happer,,, sold me for life

Latest posts