Snoring and Sleep apnea

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I suffer from both. I snore like a bear and I stop breathing many times during the night. I know this because A, my wife tells me that she nudges me now and then because she thinks I am dead, and B, I went for a sleep study and they stopped the test within one hour and put me on a cpap machine. I got the machine at home but I cant use it. I tried a dozen times and I just cant do it. I lay there wide awake for hours on end.

Most nights I can fall asleep within 5 minutes of getting into bed. Its a blessing and a curse. A few nights I'm up all night (as some of you have seen from m posts during the wee hours of the morning).

The problem is I cant get a good nights sleep because I stop breathing and my body wakes me up. I never go into a deep sleep.

Anyone else suffer from this? Have you guys tried any of the snoring/nasal products on the market?

I have tried the breathe right nasal strips, and they do in fact open up the nasal passages, But I am not sure if they help in any way with sleep.

I have it and use a CPAP machine. Been using it for well over a year. I don't remember the name of the mask or machine. I'm at werk so I'll check tomorrow. I thought I was going to have problems but when I sleep, I sleep on my right side facing out from the bed. I sleep on the right side of the bed (as you are laying on it). If you have OSA the nasal strips won't do anything for you. There is a surgical procedure that may help but I'm not going to have it because I can get by with the machine. My machine is sitting on a 2 drawer file cabinet next to my bed and leaves me enough hose to sleep on my side or back. My biggest problem is when the A/C is on the moisture in my breathe condenses in the hose and when enough collect in the bottom of the loop it gurgles and wakes me up. My boss also has it and just got his machine but he has just a little air supply that goes into each nostril. Mine covers my entire nose. I'll post a picture of mine.

Here's what I use

Mask - Respironics Comfort Select
normal_ComfortSelect-CPAP-Mask-Front.jpg

Machine - REMStar Pro C-Flex
RemstarPro2.jpg

Humidifier Base - Sure does keep the throat from drying out with all that air being pushed in.
normal_humidifier.jpg

Did they fit it for you or did they leave it up to you to figure out how to adjust it? I keep my bottom straps a little looser. Once the machine is on and I'm laying down it feels okay. If I have them tighter the mask has less "give" and if I move it won't shift and that wakes me up.

Not sure about your machine but mine has a "ramp" feature. It slowly increases the pressure. By the time it's at full pressure you shold be alseep. I did have to uses that for the first week or so.

That sucks. I can't sleep now as it is,I can't image using that mask and machine while sleeping.

flounderhead59 said:
Did they fit it for you or did they leave it up to you to figure out how to adjust it? I keep my bottom straps a little looser. Once the machine is on and I'm laying down it feels okay. If I have them tighter the mask has less "give" and if I move it won't shift and that wakes me up.

A women came to my parents house and set the machine up and fitted the mask for my father, he has the same set up that you shown in the pics, he tries to use it, he'll go a week using it or longer and then he wont use it because the mask starts to bruise the bridge of his nose...

MARINE0341 said:
flounderhead59 said:

A women came to my parents house and set the machine up and fitted the mask for my father, he has the same set up that you shown in the pics, he tries to use it, he'll go a week using it or longer and then he wont use it because the mask starts to bruise the bridge of his nose...

I don't seem to have that problem. There are many styles of masks though. The thing I dislike about my mask is you would think the webbing in the back would fit better on the head. It's real sloppy fitting. I do have to make adjustments as my hair grows and when I get a hair cut though. I have a thick head of hair (well not as thick as it once was).

I dont know how you do it but i give you alot of credit.

Im a light sleeper and its hard for me to fall asleep, it would drive me crazy if i ever have to use one :shock:

MARINE0341 said:
I dont know how you do it but i give you alot of credit.

Im a light sleeper and its hard for me to fall asleep, it would drive me crazy if i ever have to use one :shock:

But see you Marines are supposed to be light sleepers so you can protect us hard sleeping Sailors :lol: . My dad was a Marine and I remember having to wake him up for work. All you had to do was stand near the foot of his bed and softly say "Dad?" and he was awake. Must be part of that WWII Marine training.

dont know the tech name of it,but my dad had some kind of laser throat surgery and his pilot removed.been happy ever sence.

I have been using cpap for about 2 years now and wouldn't go without it because my wife would shoot me. We both finally sleep because I don't snore anymore. When I did my sleep study they said that I only slept for 8 minutes during an entire night. That must have been why I was so tired all the time.

Jim, the to much air thing sounds familiar, but if you find a comfortable mask and give it a couple weeks, you'll get used to it. Also, that cpap has a ramp feature, where it will start with a lower pressure and then slowly increase until it is at the right pressure. It is one of the two arrow buttons on the top, one is the heater, and one is ramp.

I use a respironics with the humidifier like you other guys, but I bought a new mask that is much smaller and more comfortable than the one you guys have. Take a look at this one, it just barely covers your nose and fits very well. It is the best mask that I have tried yet.

Attachments

• iq-nasal-mask-cpap-bipap.jpg
    iq-nasal-mask-cpap-bipap.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 651
yeah, it is a gel that stays cool on your face so you don't sweat, and forms to your face easily to prevent leaks.

There are 3 strap connection points, one goes over the top of your head, and the others go around the side of your head under your ears. there is also two straps above your ears to keep the top strap in place. The straps are the stretchy felt stuff and only about 1/2" to 3/4" wide so they are comfortable and don't bother you to bad. It is called the IQ by sleepnet. https://www.sleep-net.com/iq.htm

Latest posts