Pretty trip checklist

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smidge

Reaction score
was wondering what you guys go over and check before taking your boats out. planning on taking mine oit for the first time this week and m would appreciate some tips!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I keep this "Boat Check List" on my phone. I check it EVERY TIME that I am ready to go, both at home and at the ramp. I am sure there are things I should have added, too.
I can almost always count on finding something on the list that I have forgotten before putting her into the water. Remember, I am old and losing my mind/memory.

regards, richg99

Boat Check List
Hull plug
Safety chains to van
Safety chain to boat
Unlock trolling motor
Key in ignition
Squeeze fuel bulb
check fuel level
lock on hitch
stretch launch rope and tie to clip
Hook up electric tow lights
check winch strap tightness
water
camera
sun glasses
rods
ice bottles for live well
life jacket(s)
raise front trailer wheel
manual bilge pump

Johnny said:
put the drain plug in before you leave the house.
carry an extra drain plug in the boat.
carry an extra drain plug in the truck.

I attached mine to the transom with a length of cable.

lugoismad said:
Johnny said:

In MN I believe we are required to have the drain plug out whenever the boat is being transported to show we've drained the bilge - part of the campaign to help prevent the spread of exotic species. Mine is on a length of chain hanging off the transom and is only in the boat when I'm actually on the water. Even more important then to be sure it's on the checklist. :mrgreen:

Happened just last week.

Took my new hull out for her maiden voyage. BEFORE we left the boat barn, I tried to put the new tethered drain plug into the hole and tighten it down. Couldn't do it. Brand new nut was frozen and wouldn't adjust so that I could close the lever ( I hate lever type drain plugs, anyhow). The tools that I had wouldn't break it free.

Must have heard Johnny in my ear last Summer when I bought some new plugs. Grabbed one of them and put it in. Went fishing.

Story gets a bit better.... When I had the hull home for more mods..I checked where I left my new, loose drain plug and found that it had slid away, deep, under the battery shelf in the stern. It couldn't be retrieved with any tool that I possess.

Took the LAST of my spare drain plugs and tethered it to the new boat's wire. At the same time, I broke free the frozen nut on the original plug. Now, at least, I have a spare.

Buy LOTS of plugs and keep them everywhere.

richg99

I have 2 plugs in the boat, one in the truck, and several here at the house. You can never have too many!

lugoismad said:
Johnny said:

I usually keep one attached to the transom and a spare in my tackle box. I've been lucky so far as I've only forgot to put my plug in before launching 1 time, and I've never had to cancel a fishing trip because I forgot my plug. (knock on wood)

I've learned from reading this thread, that a boat checklist contains 3 very important items.
All three of them are drain plugs.

-CN- said:
I've learned from reading this thread, that a boat checklist contains 3 very important items.
All three of them are drain plugs.
and like Rich said - - - and, MAKE SURE THEY FIT !!!

Last time out, we forgot our tackle box at the house - but at least the boat floated LOL.
so we just puttered around the lake a little being careful with the 3 hooks already on
the rods with the minnows we brought.
bagged one 3# LMB and some bream - so not really a ruined day.

I had a check list that I had used for a few years and
it was kinda tattered. So my daughter offered to type it for me.
I got the new list and found an addition to the end of the list,
"DON'T FORGET THE KIDS". :LOL2:

Steve A W

If at all possible, cell phone.

PFDs you will use.

First aid kit with bandages big enough for gaping wounds.

Fire extinguisher.

Drinking water in excess of what you think you will need.

Latest posts