Airbrushing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil' Blue Rude

Reaction score
Been doing a few project here and there and figured I try to get some feedback, what do you guys think of these? Learned to airbrush in school and I just play with it from time to time when the family or friends find a project.

Attachments

• door 2.jpg
    door 2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 2,693
  • Door.jpg
    Door.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 2,693
  • door 1.jpg
    door 1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 2,693
Welding helmet I did for Christmas. Seems like it would fit in well on tinboats. :lol:

Attachments

• 100_3951.jpg
    100_3951.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 2,685
  • door 3.jpg
    door 3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 2,684
Nice, I've always thought I'd like to try airbrushing and even bought a real cheap airbrush at one time. Some of those setups get pretty expensive but I guess if you know how to use one you can justify the cost with the things you do.

Thanks guys. The helmet was kind of a rush job. It's a pain laying out all the pieces of metal so they all match up all the way around.
JMichael said:
Nice, I've always thought I'd like to try airbrushing and even bought a real cheap airbrush at one time. Some of those setups get pretty expensive but I guess if you know how to use one you can justify the cost with the things you do.
I use a Iwata eclipse you can find them for around $80-$100 new and they do a good job for all around stuff like this.

Attachments

• 100_4057.jpg
    100_4057.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 2,659
Jim said:
You have been doing amazing work for a few years now, do you make a little $ doing jobs? or ever thought about pursuing a career in it?
Thanks guys. I guess that's kind of why I was wanting some feedback from everyone on here to see if you guys think it's good enough to start thinking about a career in it?

Yea man that door is awesome! Mine next? Id sure like to see the outside of a tin look like that. Great work bud.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

I go to a fair amount of old car shows during the fair weather season, and I suggest you try your hand at that venue. Rent a vendor's spot, set up a table with some samples of your work, and have some business cards printed. There's more than one guy that does striping or airbrush work that earns a few bucks on a weekend.
Things to brush or stripe; mailboxes, toilet seat covers, old hubcaps as clocks. You could even do small flat panels with classic characters on them. (Betty Boop, Taz, or try WW2 nose art style paintings.)
If you're into bikes, a guy can make some decent coin there, too. Bikes can be done in a short amount of time, giving you a good labor-to-profit margin.

By chance, do you use One-shot for paints?

Roger

Nice work! With skills like that, the sky is the limit! I would like to see some custom painted crankbaits! Check and see if stamina or Jan's net craft still offer baits to be painted. Good luck!

Thanks guys. I think the car show idea would be great once I was to get some what established to bring some show pieces but I'm pretty sure I'd be to slow to do any airbrushing at a show. I'm sure if I was to airbrush all the time I'd get quicker at it but as it is now I might use it 2 or 3 times a year. As far as paint I use Nason urethane base coat I've always had pretty good luck with it. I'd never really thought about painting lures, looks like there some painted ones on ebay for $15-$20+ with a dozen or more bids. Might dig through the tackle box and see what lures I don't use probably have some deep divers since I fish shallow rivers, maybe if I find some you guys could give me some ideas of what colors might suit the style lure. I've bought a mail box the other day to airbrush not sure what yet. Motorcycles would be great to get into. I've painted one for a buddy before but it was just a plain black paintjob, probably a good thing because he laid it over a few months later. Luckily he was ok but the new paint job not so much.

Beautiful and pains-taking work!

Just a caution, if this is a hobby or personal interest, think long and hard before you turn it into a profession. Every person I know who has done so, has lost their hobby. :(

If you can do it as you choose, you may be able to keep a balance.

Which ever way you go, my best wishes to you.

Texas Prowler said:
Yea man that door is awesome! Mine next? Id sure like to see the outside of a tin look like that. Great work bud.

Sent from the dust in front of you!
Pick up an aluminum canoe and paint it up like a birch bark canoe.

I've always heard that about turning hobbies into a job. I think it would be a little harder to get burnt out on airbrushing because there are so many different things you can paint and the sky's the limits on your creativity vs. doing the same thing in and out. I'm sure it would get old at some point. I'd say it's more of something I just do from time to time to see what I can come up with more so then a hobby, that's what the boat's for :mrgreen: .
That would be pretty cool to do a canoe. I think by the time you bought the canoe and paint you'd have more tied up then you'd get out of it. But if someone brought one to me and wanted it painted I'd jump on it.

Latest posts